Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Kernel-Power Critical Error

• Please log in to reply

Kaito

Kaito

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello!.
My Event ID is filled with the same Critical error whenever i crash. ive recently brought a new Motherboard/CPU/RAM/PSU/Cooling.
Kernel-Power
Event ID: 41
Level: Critical

Details:
BugcheckCode 278

Can anyone help me find out what is causing this issue?

I believe i have a faulty GPU but i'm not 100% convinced it's causing my Critical errors though.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Scenario 1 in http://support.micro...2028504#method1 applies:

When a Stop error occurs, the Stop error data is written in Event ID 41 as part of the additional event data. There may be the instances in which the Stop error code information cannot be written before the computer restarts or shuts down. Such instances are covered in scenario 3.

Note The BugcheckCode data in the event is written in decimal format instead of a more typical hexadecimal format. Therefore, the decimal value should be converted to a hexadecimal value.

If the Stop error BugcheckCode entry in the event ID data is not zero, you should convert the BugcheckCode value from decimal to hexadecimal. Most documentation on Stop error codes reference the code as a hexadecimal value instead of a decimal value. To do this, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then type calc in the Search box.
Click View, and then click Programmer.
Make sure that the Dec option button is selected on the left side of calculator.
Use the keyboard to enter the decimal value from the BugcheckCode value.
Click the Hex option button on the left side of the calculator.

Oddly enough BugcheckCode 278 is in Decimal rather than the usual Hex so you have to convert it using the calculator per the above and when you do it is 0x00000116 which is a graphics error.

http://www.computerh...es/ch001268.htm

so time to get a new video card.

Ron

Kaito

Kaito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Scenario 1 in http://support.micro...2028504#method1 applies:

When a Stop error occurs, the Stop error data is written in Event ID 41 as part of the additional event data. There may be the instances in which the Stop error code information cannot be written before the computer restarts or shuts down. Such instances are covered in scenario 3.

Note The BugcheckCode data in the event is written in decimal format instead of a more typical hexadecimal format. Therefore, the decimal value should be converted to a hexadecimal value.

If the Stop error BugcheckCode entry in the event ID data is not zero, you should convert the BugcheckCode value from decimal to hexadecimal. Most documentation on Stop error codes reference the code as a hexadecimal value instead of a decimal value. To do this, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then type calc in the Search box.
Click View, and then click Programmer.
Make sure that the Dec option button is selected on the left side of calculator.
Use the keyboard to enter the decimal value from the BugcheckCode value.
Click the Hex option button on the left side of the calculator.

Oddly enough BugcheckCode 278 is in Decimal rather than the usual Hex so you have to convert it using the calculator per the above and when you do it is 0x00000116 which is a graphics error.

http://www.computerh...es/ch001268.htm

so time to get a new video card.

Ron

Thanks! :) I have a 7950 on the way, but the site i was buying it from said that my crashs wasn't coming from my Current GPU :< which made me go "NOw what i gotta buy"