Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to Get Drivers

• Please log in to reply

sugarplum88

sugarplum88

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi All,

I just installed windows xp on my friend's laptop and now i need to get all of the drivers through my desktop and I'm not entirely sure how to do this. I also want to be very sure that I get all of the drivers i need and of course the proper ones.

So would someone be able to tell me..

1. Where to get them?
2. Which ones to Get?
3. How to Get them from my computer to the laptop without having them install on the computer? (i have a different OS)

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Umm I would be glad to help except that you have not supplied any info on the laptop.
What brand, make and model?
Was XP the original installed OS?

3. How to Get them from my computer to the laptop without having them install on the computer? (i have a different OS)

Download them all to a folder on the desktop and then copy them to a flash drive or cd. Then just copy to laptop and install them from there.

sugarplum88

sugarplum88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Oh I'm more hopeless than I thought haha It is a Toshiba Satellite A100. Windows XP home edition is the original OS but i just replaced an illegitimate copy of a different OS. Basically restoring it to its original glory :P

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
website for your drivers:
http://www.drivertos...xp-drivers.html

click on download and save them on your computer (do not run them), once you got all the drivers you need copy them on your flash drive or on a cd as Rshaffer61 instructed.

The first driver you should install is the chipset driver utility
After that you have to see which of the model you have since on some drivers the Satellite as different hardaware options

If your touchpad is not working install the Synaptics Touchpad Driver

then your Lan or wireless drivers
Video drivers (you have to determine, Nvidia or ATI)
Audio drivers

Those are the basics and needed ones for the others you decide what you want to use.

Edited by Alzeimer, 23 August 2012 - 03:48 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Alzeimer for posting the link and instructions. :thumbsup:
Please let us know if you hit a snag or when you have everything installed.

sugarplum88

sugarplum88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for the replies :) I have hit a snag...downloaded and then burned them onto a disk but the laptop can't unzip the files to install them.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have something like 7zip or winzip to unzip the files on the laptop?

sugarplum88

sugarplum88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I suppose I will have to download it on my computer and transfer it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you put the drivers on a flash drive? You can always just add the unzipping program. Install it first and then you will get the others with no problem.
Just remember to do the motherboard chipset first or you may run into problems.

sugarplum88

sugarplum88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I was finally able to extract the files but now they're 13 individual files that i can't open...am sad now lol

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK now what you do is open device manager and lets see what you have showing with a yellow exclamation mark.

Please Go to

1: START and the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

sugarplum88

sugarplum88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Apparently I did not extract properly. Trying to get winzip onto the laptop but it is not working. I transferred both an uninstalled file of winzip, just downloaded and transferred without installing and i tried installing and transferring the winzip file from programs and neither works. I am getting very frustrated. What am i doing wrong?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Once you unzip the file then it should give you the driver. To install the driver you have to find the corresponding device in Device Manager. You right click on it and a window should show up where one of the options is update driver. You click on that and then you will have to tell it where the driver is you just unzipped.

sugarplum88

sugarplum88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Oh I didn't word my post properly. I meant I'm trying to install the actual WinZip program. I apologize.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There should be a simple install file and that is it.
Try 7zip HERE.
Download the correct version for your OS and simply click on the exe file. It will install and then you can use it to unzip the drivers.