Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My PC hangs and later reboots when ethernet cable is plugged

• Please log in to reply

Matheka Jnr

Matheka Jnr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello every one,

When the Ethernet cable is not plugged in, the PC runs well but when i plug it in, The desktop is frozen and the system reboots after some minutes. I thought of reinstalling the OS but i think that is not the solution. Anybody with a solution?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Boot to Safe Mode (press F8 at boot). Open Device Manager, expand Network Adapters then right click on your network adapter and select Uninstall. Reboot and XP will rediscover the network adapter and reload the drivers. This often fixes weird problems like this.

Matheka Jnr

Matheka Jnr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I even got a new Ethernet card and still the problem persists. Could it be an OS issue since the machine is running on W-Xp?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Did you try uninstalling from Device Manager as I suggested?
It's possible a corrupted Winsock is the culprit. Try this, see if it helps.

Winsock XP Fix