Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dulicate File Removal

• Please log in to reply

jbljohn

jbljohn

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Windows XP service pack 3. I have an external hard drive that I have used create music file. The process included copying from one hard drive to another and merging files. THis has resulted in a large file with what I believe to have many duplicate files. Can someone please recommend software I can install and use to deleted these duplicate files.
Thanks!

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hello Jbljohn,

Personally I use AllDup its free and very good, it could have some learning curve but isn't to difficult.
The program includes some safe guards against working on windows folders please use the tool only to compare and remove duplicates on documents, images, MP3, etc. and not for System files or programs you have installed.

Edited by SleepyDude, 24 August 2012 - 04:48 PM.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Thanks, not sure why I'm asking this question but if I have the same file in two different folders will it remove one of the files?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Thanks, not sure why I'm asking this question but if I have the same file in two different folders will it remove one of the files?

In that case you can drag and drop the two folders for the program window and then make it scan for duplicates, after the scan you can see the list of duplicates and the program allow you to select all the duplicate files from one of the folders and decide if you want to delete, move, copy or rename the files.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
jbljohn

There is one point that comes to my notice.

Is this problem, in any way a continuation of the problem on this topic
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

whilst in essence it does not appear to be so, I cannot wondering if the process

. I have an external hard drive that I have used create music file. The process included copying from one hard drive to another and merging files.

involved the drive at issue in the previous topic.

I have an external hard drive that I have my music stored on that has a file in a folder that I am unable to delete. The file has a name with several squares in it an Omega sign and a capital H. I can not change the file or folder name. When trying to delete I get the message "File name Directory name volume label syntax incorrect" and Cannot read.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
No, I decided to retire the external hard drive that had the file that could not be deleted. Do you agree with the suggestion regarding how to delete duplicate files previously offered?

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
When I go to AllDup and select Download - Which option do I chose to download i.e what do I click on to activate the download?
Thanks!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

When I go to AllDup and select Download - Which option do I chose to download i.e what do I click on to activate the download?
Thanks!

Hi,

The page show 3 servers to download from.
You can use this link for direct download http://www.thummerer...load/alldup.zip

Edited by SleepyDude, 26 August 2012 - 08:02 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have no knowledge of that program, but you are in good hands with my colleague SleepyDude, I only came in when I saw your other topic.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Sleepy, I now have All Dup downloaded. I want to eliminate duplicate files on my external "K" drive. How do I do this?
Thanks! :blush:

Advertisements

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
I have now identified 61 gB's of duplicate files with All Dup. What selection do I make to delete these duplicate files

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Running scared :help: Please tell me there is no way I am going to damage my operating system by deleting file from an external hard drive!!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
jbjohn

Patience please, just wait for SleepyDude to come back online

If the icon to the left of his name on one of his posts is not green he is not online
Posted Image offline

Posted Image online

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Thanks learned something about identifying who is online!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Sleepy, I now have All Dup downloaded. I want to eliminate duplicate files on my external "K" drive. How do I do this?
Thanks! :blush:

Hi John,

Do you want to remove only duplicates residing on the K drive or you would like to compare with documents and files you have in your local disk also?

There are some video tutorials for this program on the net but i found them complicated for someone that is starting, I will compile some instructions for you, please give me some time.