Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet disconnecting issues

• Please log in to reply

phantomsx

phantomsx

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
well, im not much of a computer genius and im sorry if i placed this topic in the wrong forum section. my internet keeps disconnecting from time to time, when it happens its both on my pc and my brother's laptop where mine is wired connected and hes wireless. sometimes it takes a while for the internet to come back sometimes just 1min. my setup is a ADSL router cable to the jack from the wall. i tried putting my ISP's DNS in the IPv4 thing in the network adapters, i also did a dns flush, ran a full antivirus scan and registry scan with no fix to this. when it happens i run troubleshoot and get a DNS not responding result, sometimes i press it again and it shows that there is no issue and thus i know my internet is back. when it happens a yellow exclamation mark appears on my network icon saying no internet access. i also have 2 routers and the issue is happening on both, one is a buffalo and the other is a linksys cisco.
me and my brother are both using windows 7, mine is home premium. my network adapter is realtek PCIe GBE family controller.
this has been happening for more than a month and i cant enjoy any online gaming with this constant disconnecting.
tried contacting my ISP, they told me to remove my splitter and directly plug the cable to the router which i did, with no result. they'd tell me to take the router to be reprogrammed at their branch etc which i did and still the problem presists. do i need to change my ISP or could be a problem with underground cables in my region? im currently living in an apartment if it matters somehow.
if you need any additional information please ask with the method for me to gain it as i might not know the method.

Advertisements

phantomsx

phantomsx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
never mind, i contacted linksys and they came, they told me its bad cabling and cant be fixed due to some complications within the apartment structure, however they said lowering the internet speed might lower or stop the disconnecting so i gave it a shot and contacted my ISP to lower it, trying it out currently to try noticing any changes.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for updating us but I am sorry the Apartment complex can't or won't have it corrected. You would think they would to keep their tenants happy.

phantomsx

phantomsx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yea, whatever the problem is it wont get fixed by any ISP or cable support, lowering my speed didnt help either so i basically gave up and my only solution is to change where i live or something. im willing to try formatting my PC but i doubt it would be of any use either.

ThunderSnow

ThunderSnow

GeekU Freshman

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Formatting your PC in this case would likely just be a waste. You could try looking into a different internet service provider and see if they can do anything for you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The provider is not the issue but the actual wiring in the apartment. The only way to correct that would be to move to a newer apartment complex where the wiring may be up to code.
I do have to agree that formatting would be a waste of time because you will still be limited by the data transfer in the wiring itself.

phantomsx

phantomsx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i made a last cry for help to my ISP, i was quite lucky that i got a dedicated worker for a change. he checked my connection etc etc and told me after 40min of anaylsis that i have to change my AVG antivirus into a stronger one such as norton or kaspersky and scan all Pcs using the internet. other than that i should use ethernet rather than wireless wherever possible and call them after a disconnection took a while to occur for him to make a full scan. it sounded professional and all but i doubt that when i call them again they'd forget what they said themselves.
edit; just saw shaffer's reply, it could be true that the wiring is the problem, seeing that its true that the only solution is to change complex which is not as easy ill still try whatever option i see available. id keep this thread updated on the attempts that i do but i see its useless so if you want you can close this thread as it seems the true solution is already mentioned. however thanks for the replies about the formatting, i was actually starting to get tempted to try it.

Edited by phantomsx, 25 August 2012 - 09:24 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is he suspecting a infection and that is why he suggests scanning? If that is the issue then the last thing you really want to do is install a AV that uses more system resources and will slow the system down even more.
If this is the case then our Malware techs can check your system out.

phantomsx

phantomsx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
according to what he said, he is suspecting that some infection is causing the DNS to be rejected to something, since i used 2 routers already he canceled out that the router is bad and came to the conclusion that something is causing the internet to be disconnected, so probably yea it might be an infection. i tried a full deep AVG AV scan with no results, i also tried malwarebyte's antimalware with one threat that was cleaned and it was from a song i downloaded like 5 days ago while this problem has been occuring for around a month, in my bro's laptop i scanned using his microsoft security essential and found 1 javabecole virus or something similar to that name and cleaned it. im not sure if this just proves that i either fully cleaned our computers from infections or that there might be more infections causing this so yea maybe it is an infection. sorry if im typing in too much info.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Advertisements

phantomsx

phantomsx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
alright, im in the process of preforming the OTL scan , i also downloaded a stronger AV as my pc isnt really having any slow performance issue, its just that internet is constantly disconnecting. when the scan is done ill make a thread in the malware section with the logs etc. and get back here if the problem isnt solved in the malware section :).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please provide us a link to your malware topic when you start it and I can then keep up with what is found or not found. :thumbsup:

phantomsx

phantomsx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
here is the link to the topic: http://www.geekstogo...y-of-infection/
and thank you for your time rshaffer, appreciate the help. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and thank you for the link to your malware topic. I am very interested to know if this is all caused by a infection just as I am sure you are.

phantomsx

phantomsx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
well its not an infection, but now i notice its kinda only happening around midnight to the morning, if it was faulty cables wont it disconnect all the time rather then a specific time gap? ive been sleeping the whole day but according to my brother the internet hasn't disconnected yet. its 9:30pm now at the moment so ill try recording when it starts disconnecting.