Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

FileHippo Update Checker - does something similar exist for drivers

• Please log in to reply

ravens_creed

ravens_creed

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi there,

I was recently made aware of the FileHippo Update Checker program by a GTG mod, and I love it! I find it to be a very useful and handy tool that simplifies the update process a lot.
I was wondering if there was a similar program or tool that worked in much the same way, but for updating various drivers installed on a system?

I finally updated to Windows 7 about a year ago, and after doing so, one of the biggest issues I faced was finding the appropriate drivers for my hardware. I found most of them manually, but not without a series of difficult searches and careful deliberation first. I did find a program (admittedly, I forget what it was called), but it, of course, required a license and payment (much more than it was worth and I was willing to pay). I will be moving everything on my current HDD over to a new one, starting with a fresh Windows 7 install. I am inevitably facing the same situation as before, where I will be required to update several drivers. Many I will have no problems finding (my video and audio drivers, and even the main MB drivers as well), but I know that other smaller drivers will be missed, or require another painstaking search for what may or may not be the most up to date versions. Obviously, a driver tool similar to the FileHippo Update checker would save me a lot of time, energy, and money if one existed!

Thanks for your assistance as always, GTG!

Edited by ravens_creed, 25 August 2012 - 01:35 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You might give this a try. It does have a limitation in the free version of only being able to install two drivers a day. Their paid version is not that expensive and may be worth the cost. I have been using the free version on my XP and Win7 partitions for awhile now. Win8 it isn't so good with yet.

Download DriverMax and have it scan your system. It will open their website with all the out of date drivers you can update. With the free version you can update only 2 drivers per day so if you have a lot of them it will take a few days to get everything updated. I have been using it for about 4 months now and like it better then any other utility out there for keeping my drivers up to date.
If you want you can post screenshots of all the drivers in the list that need to be updated and I will suggest in what order to get them.

ravens_creed

ravens_creed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Haha, truth be told, I think this is exactly what I ended up doing last time, as it ended up being my most reliable option. :) Thanks for reminding me of the name of the program, and I just may consider buying a license for it!
Also, I believe that after it generates its initial list, I will probably be able to get many of the drivers through other means, without going through DriverMax directly, saving me one of my two downloads per day. Does that sound about right? For example, specific drivers downloadable from the Intel website...

ravens_creed

ravens_creed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I think, given how inexpensive the 30-day license is, I'll just grab that and do it all in one shot. Thanks for the heads-up again, and feel free to close/archive this thread!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Also, I believe that after it generates its initial list, I will probably be able to get many of the drivers through other means, without going through DriverMax directly, saving me one of my two downloads per day. Does that sound about right? For example, specific drivers downloadable from the Intel website...

You are exactly right and checking the manufacturer site first will verify the newest driver also.

We don't close topics in this part of the forum but I am so glad I could be of assistance for you. Let me know how DriverMax works out for you. I am considering purchasing a 1 year license myself.