Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

chkdsk fixed problems but now I can't boot

• Please log in to reply

hoggle2000

hoggle2000

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I have an old Seagate 500GB hard drive now 5 years old. I bought WD caviar 2TB which I planned to transfer to. Using the Acronis WD tool, all was going well but then it got stuck. I could hear the hard drive clicking and eventually an hour or so later, it told me that the transfer had failed. I gave up for some months and carried on using my old drive without any problems but have now come back to it to finally sort out the transfer.

So today, presuming an error, I ran chkdsk on boot. This is where the trouble began.

It seemed to get stuck again making that clicking noise on stage 4 but found an error and fixed a file called hiberfil.sys. It finished the process but then began a massive process of fixing the following:

Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file xxx

It did this for every file and took hours. When I came back to my pc it must have finished but the computer was locked in a boot cycle, getting no further than the splash screen, before an almost subliminal BSOD before restarting.

Safe mode didn't get me any further than the above. I put the Vista pro CD in to attempt a repair. It couldn't see the drive in the recovery console but after clicking next anyway, it did a repair. All that happens now, though is after the splash screen I get a black screen with a white cursor (KSOD?). Can't CTRL ALT DELETE on that screen either.

Annoyingly, I thought I would get the new drive on a clean install and use the old one as a slave to retrieve my data but for some reason the BIOS and Windows installation only sees it as a 1TB drive. I almost thought about formatting the new drive this morning before all these troubles and using computer/manage it clearly saw about 1.8 TB. Sigh.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to solve the above issue(s).

My mobo is GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R rev 1.1.

Thanks for any help. Am posting this using my phone!

UPDATE: Windows can now see the full new drive so I am proceeding with a new install on the new hard drive. However, would still like to get old one up and running if I can. Not too sure yet how new drive is performing...

Edited by hoggle2000, 26 August 2012 - 07:26 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Sorry you have waited for a reply

Occasionally a post does get overlooked purely due to the vast number of posts on the site

If the new HDD is on the same connection eg SATA port - or although unlikely IDE as the old one and it installs OK you may safely presume I think that the old HDD has gone to drive graveyard

hiberfil.sys

used for hibernation

I could hear the hard drive clicking

a very reasonable sign of a failing drive.

connect drive externally - in docking station or enclosure, you MAY be lucky to retrieve some data if you need it.
That of course does not rely on Windows loading on that drive.

RUN SEAGATE extended test on the drive.

http://www.seagate.c...port/downloads/

hoggle2000

hoggle2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Many thanks for your response.

Following my previous post - I proceeded with installing Windows on the new hard drive and everything is up and running fine.

I then reconnected the old drive as a slave (both are SATA). Under properties, it showed 0 KB. Since the CHKDSK had changed all of those security ID's for the files, I went into the properties and started tinkering with the security levels. After some trial and error of adding USER (and other ones- I used the new drive as a comparison), suddenly I could see all of the folders/files on the drive and have been merrily copying them back off onto the new drive.

As you say, I expect that there is a bad bit on the old drive and perhaps this was the kick I needed to transfer to a new drive!

I will run that SeaTools program on it just in case but I guess this issue is now resolved :)

Thanks for the help!

Edited by hoggle2000, 31 August 2012 - 07:08 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Congratulations you have done well