Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help with a weird problem (at least for me)

• Please log in to reply

nasiraod

nasiraod

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi
I was looking for an answer for this weird problem and I stumbled upon your Forum, so just wanted to start by saying Hi, and then tell you my problem which goes as follows:
At random intervals, this computer hangs and then the screen gets scrambled (I attached a screen shot). I tried replacing the RAM, the Graphics card, and the hard drive. And I know it is a hardware problem because it also happens during POST. Now I know it is probably the motherboard I just want to know exactly what is causing this problem.

Regards,
Nas Makkiya

Attached Thumbnails

• 20120825_143424.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: nasiraod

A couple of things that may cause this are overheating and a bad or under powered PSU (power supply unit)

Please provide information about your computer, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) what are the video card and PSU brand and model details, providing the above information will enable us to better assist you.

nasiraod

nasiraod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank you for your reply.

These are the things that I did and forgot to mention:
1. I also suspected the PSU so I swapped it with a new one.
2. I also reapplied thermal paste to the chipset and CPU.
3. I put two gigantic fans aimed at the chipset.
All the changes that I did seem to do nothing except the latter seems to make this happen less often; however, physically touching the chipset's heatsink doesn't show any signs of overheating.

The computer itself is a custom built one with a gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2 motherboard, 2GB single module RAM.

Edited by nasiraod, 26 August 2012 - 03:20 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
We need the PSU and add on video card details please, this is so we can check what the video cards power requirements are and whether the present PSU can provide enough clean and stable power.
Not all PSUs are of good quality and many cannot provide anything like the wattage that they claim, some information for you @ http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php and a video @

Also please note that there is one thing worse than a Not Recommended PSU and that is a brand that has not been heard of.

nasiraod

nasiraod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The PSU was a Corsair 700W, and this motherboard has a builtin graphics card; however, at first I suspected the graphics card so I went and bought a PNY GeForce 430.
I love 15 days return policy.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the additional information :thumbsup:

Am I correct that this happens with both the integrated and add on graphics card.

nasiraod

nasiraod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yup it happens in both, the only thing that I did which seems to decrease, not stop, the frequency of it is putting a fan in front of the chipset heatsink.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for confirming the above :thumbsup:

With the good quality PSU you have, the same symptoms with both the integrated video and add on card + the issue abating when extra cooling is directed at the MB it would appear that it is heat related, please note though that unstable voltages can also cause additional heat, has the system ever been overclocked?

Just in case there is a bad setting in the BIOS can you please clear the CMOS by following my canned information below and then let us know the results please, meanwhile I will do some research on possible cooling solutions for the chipset.

nasiraod

nasiraod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I already cleared the CMOS and updated the BIOS's firmware.
I've just got an idea about why is this happening, please tell me if it's "too out there"
Since the chipset is soldered into the MB this means that there is solder, and if this solder is cracked it means it needs a certain temperature to achieve a certain expansion in the solder to provide connectivity. once it goes above that temperature(although still within the normal operating temp of the chipset) then it'll get disconnected, and I get that screen.

Edited by nasiraod, 26 August 2012 - 04:44 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Don`t worry as nothing is "too out there" with computer issues.

Any break in the solder joints would result in the complete failure of the board, this can happen when a MB gets hot and thus expand breaking the flow of current.

Have you tried running the computer in Safe Mode, if yes what happened if no then please try it now.

I am offline now for an hour or so but I will check back here on my return.

Advertisements

nasiraod

nasiraod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Believe me I know that nothing is "too out there" with computer issues.
Well not if it is a microscopic break, I had a similar problem with an Xbox 360 and I had to take to someone to reball the GPU. what used to happen was that the Xbox would start just fine then all of a sudden there would be lines across the screen, since it's the GPU the xbox would continue functioning but with these lines all over the screen. After the GPU was soldered back, the Xbox started playing nice.
Regarding the safe mode. although I think that it has nothing to do with the software since this issue happens even during POST sometimes, I did try going into safemode, and still the same issue.

I'll be offline for 8 hrs since it is 4AM here in Vancouver and I am running out of battery
Thank you very much for your help, and I'll check back when I wake up

Regards,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Gotcha now, the dreaded reflow

Have you at any time tried another screen, if yes what was the result, if no can you do so and post back here the result.

I would agree that it may be a possible cause with the integrated video chip but for the fact that the same thing happens with the add on card rules that out so it would appear that it is back to the overheating possibility.

Some chipset coolers http://www.tigerdire...93564&CatId=498 and http://www.newegg.ca... fans&x=22&y=14

nasiraod

nasiraod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I think that the chipset needs reflow not the GPU. and I did try it with different screens with the same result, just in 24 inches instead of 19 inches.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Trying a cooler on the MB first would be my suggestion for the following reason/s 1: it may instantly resolve the issue, 2: unlike a reflow it cannot hose the MB altogether and 3: you can never have too much cooling.

NB: The cooler at TigerDirect got a great review of someone who had used it on the NB, see if you can get one local as I note shipping costs can be expensive in Canada.

nasiraod

nasiraod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I did put a fan twice, the first one was normal sized one like the one you referenced the second time I put a fan that is 1.5 times bigger than the heatsink and all that changes is a decrease in the frequency of the problem.
When I have either of these fans installed the heatsink is cold to touch during operation.