Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Backing up drive

• Please log in to reply

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
there is a jumper on the back of the hdd to set it to slave

Advertisements

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Yeah thats what I would like to know is which jumper should I set the drive to when I make it into an external. I assume its slave also but am not really sure.

The problem I just remembered with the drive[one with the useless OS is that even though the drive was 120GB the whole thing was only seen as 23GB.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Personally, I'd do things a bit differently. First of all, unless you are out of IDE headers, I'd forget about making the 120 an external USB drive - why would you want to do this? If you like the concept of off-site storage or something, you can use a removable drive bay but I see no advantage to making this an external.

Now, to set this as a slave. You may need to reset your drive jumpers. If it was your master and has been replaced, I'll assume the new master is jumpered either as master or CS and that you have re-jumpered this as either Slave or CS. I always use CS for a host of reasons I'm not going to elaborate on here.

As to formatting - yes, now is as good a time as any and if you don't mind losing anything thats on that drive, why not start with it clean? Just use the format utility in Disk Management and if you are pressed for time you can do a quick format although my preference is still a full one.

Back to a backup procedure. This is what works for me - Create an image monthly to a HDD and setup multiple tasks using Replicator run daily and automatically. If one is thorough, you'll always be able to restore everything (less perhaps one days work) even in the event of a catastrophic drive failure.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Just saw the previous posts re: jumpers. No, if you make it an extermal USB its got to be jumpered as master, single drive.

:tazz:

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Yeah unfortuanly there is no more space inside my case for a third drive so that is why I need to make this backup external.[Master and a slave for media files Xvid/divx inside the case.

Now, to set this as a slave. You may need to reset your drive jumpers. If it was your master and has been replaced, I'll assume the new master is jumpered either as master or CS and that you have re-jumpered this as either Slave or CS. I always use CS for a host of reasons I'm not going to elaborate on here.

As to formatting - yes, now is as good a time as any and if you don't mind losing anything thats on that drive, why not start with it clean? Just use the format utility in Disk Management and if you are pressed for time you can do a quick format although my preference is still a full one.

I am a little confused here my current master drive is the original with the special partition and the 3rd drive for external use I think needs to be reformatted to master through data lifeguard tool[its a western digital drive] I could take out the 1st and 2nd drives insert the 3rd drive alone boot the DLT CD and format it to master then insert it to the caddy to get the full disk size.

Just saw the previous posts re: jumpers. No, if you make it an extermal USB its got to be jumpered as master, single drive.

Ok then I should just remove the little plastic jumper completley then.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

Ok then I should just remove the little plastic jumper completley then.

Not necessarily. Check the drive mfg jumper settings - they vary by mfg and by model.

Didn't realize you had two internals already. I understand where you are coming from. As to the MaxBlast - I avoid drive overlays like the plague. You can do this with Windows Disk Management and should you ever have problems its a lot easier to recover a drive that doesn't have a third party drive overlay on it.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Yeah the manual says for single drive no jumper shunt installed then for dual master jumper shunt on 3rd set of jumper pins and 4th set for dual slave.[I have this set for the 2nd media drive inside the case][same exact brand drives]

Also I got a strange email saying that the special partition couldn't be imaged over to an external drive.[manufactuers tech support regarding the recovery CD].

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Thats because its a hidden partition. I don't see a problem there because you want to leave that alone assuming you want to maintain the functionality of your original restore Discs. So, all you need to image is the rest of the drive that (I assume) is on another single partition. Is it safe to say that you are going to leave this original drive as the master system drive and the external is a new drive?

You have me a little confused but again I don't like using things like the Data Lifeguard Tools to set up drives. Should you later experience problems with a drive that has been setup using a third party utility, they can be unreadable in another machine. That means ka-poof to anything on the drive using normal recovery methods.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Thats because its a hidden partition. I don't see a problem there because you want to leave that alone assuming you want to maintain the functionality of your original restore Discs. So, all you need to image is the rest of the drive that (I assume) is on another single partition. Is it safe to say that you are going to leave this original drive as the master system drive and the external is a new drive?

Yeah what I really wanted to do was leave the original drive in as it is now but have a complete copy of the drive somewhere just incase the orginal ever was phisically damaged and wouldn't work. If then the case was the original drive was broken phisically and wouldn't read anymore I could just take the external drive switch the jumper to dual master so I could insert it into the case and boot up into windows.[Another thing I could use this process for is if the original drive had its system files damaged and wouldn't boot to windows Icould easily set it up as a slave and copy all important files over][Just had to do this scenario actually]

ou have me a little confused but again I don't like using things like the Data Lifeguard Tools to set up drives. Should you later experience problems with a drive that has been setup using a third party utility, they can be unreadable in another machine. That means ka-poof to anything on the drive using normal recovery methods.

So I should not use Data lifeguard to set up drives then?[Does this also affect the drive if it was set up to nothing more than a slave?] I was under the impression a slave would be easily recognized any time you connected it to another PC.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
You're close. When one creates an image using a program like Ghost the backup is actually saved in an image file format and it is unreadable by wWindows in that file format. However, using the Ghost program (fits on a floppy), you can quickly restore a valid copy of your entire drive from the image files that were saved. Your restore CD's work in very much the same manner but are probably a hybrid version of Power Quest's program Drive Image. As mentioned earlier by Stuart, you can also burn these to CD's or DVD's and make the first Disc bootable by embedding part of the Ghost file structure and boot ini files on the Disc itself. Same concept with USB drivers which will further confuse the issue because they would also be needed if you want to restore image files from an external USB drive. You can go read all about this as there is too much to cover here.

As to your MaxBlast - some swear by it - I'm not one of them. I do not like using any drive overlay programs period.

Regards & Good Luck

Advertisements

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
The process you explain seems very difficult to me. What if I copied everything from windows to the 3rd drive and then used the third drive as the bootable drive for windows
and then stored the original drive away for safe keeping. Thus keeping the drive safe and Using the newer one.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
The process is a piece of cake. There is nothing to it - the software does all the work for you and you get a perfect backup. I can understand your skepticism because you are unfamiliar with it. Once you do it or see someone else run this, you'll be asking, "Is that all there is to it?"

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Ok I definitely want to try this but I am sort of skeptical as I just noticed how expensive ghost is. If I can't scrounge up the $ what other options do I have?

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Find a copy of SystemWorks 2003 - it has the Ghost program and that's worth the price of admission. My guess is that you can find it on ebay dirt cheap if you don't have a buddy with it.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Heres what I found
http/cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3805&item=7160971848&rd=1

http/www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006FI0Z/102-2659268-8783302?v=glance&s=software&me=standard&vi=pictures&img=14#more-pictures

http/www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006FI0Z/102-2659268-8783302?v=glance&s=software

Another problem is my floppy seems to be broke :tazz: