Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Zone Alarm

• Please log in to reply

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I just did a fresh OS install and installed an older version of ZA then I went to MS update to patch but after I patched and rebooted windows then freezes right before it loads ZA[at startup]. I used ctrl alt delete to stop the loading of ZA to uninstall it and it boots fine after its uninstalled. Can anyone help me?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
remove zone alarm and try again.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Thanks for replying back starjax. I already uninstalled and reinstalled ZA numerous times now but the same problem occurs on startup.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There is a new version

http://www.zonelabs....lid=dbtopnav_za

Some prefer 4.5

http://forum.zonelab...id=24108#M24108

Another free one is sygate

http://www.simtel.co...rs.php?id=53687

or you can get a trial of others here

http://www.microsoft...ds/default.mspx

Edited by Keith, 05 June 2005 - 02:16 PM.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Thanks to you also Keith for replying. I was trying to install 37_159 and it doesn't work [as I already posted] but using the newest it does 55_094_000. Are there any diffrences
between the two?

I know before I had to reinstall the older version worked fine with all the patches.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A higher version number should have as many bugs fixed as possible, if it were me, I would get the 3 month trial of Trend Micro Internet Security, then if you have a problem with this also, at least you can e-mail their tech support who will fix it, and it gives Zonelabs a while to make improvements.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Then I should try Trend Micro? Also if the past versions of ZoneAlarm work on my PC then why do need to make improvements.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
With Zonealarm not working, installing Trend Micro, which is a 3 month free trial version from the Microsoft site, you would determine whether there is an error in the operating system or the firewall.

Manufacturers are always improving things

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Keith,

Trend micro is a software company (anti virus vendor)

Microsoft only makes a firewall that comes with sp2. they do have a antispy product that is in beta.

plehsdeen,
Vendors are always patching bugs and improving the product so that it can be more effective. Especially as new infection technics are found every day

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hello Starjax,

The reference to Trend Micro / Microsoft relates to their 90 day free Trial of Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005 from the Microsoft site

http://www.microsoft...ds/default.mspx

Keith

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

With Zonealarm not working, installing Trend Micro, which is a 3 month free trial version from the Microsoft site, you would determine whether there is an error in the operating system or the firewall.

The newest ZoneAlarm is currently working on my system. Just the older version that crashes it.

Manufacturers are always improving things

plehsdeen,
Vendors are always patching bugs and improving the product so that it can be more effective. Especially as new infection technics are found every day

So I should just stick with the newer version of ZA then? The main reason I wanted to use the older version is because it seemed to run azuerus at a much faster speed.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Keep the new version

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Alright then guess I'll just stick with the newer ZA. Thanks so very much ofr your time in helping me find a solution to this question Keith and starjax :tazz: