Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I install a graphic card into a motherboard which already has one

• Please log in to reply

Faxxy

Faxxy

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
So I want to buy some new stuff for my PC, like a new motherboard, a new graphic card and new RAM memory. But I want a specific graphic card, although it looks like the motherboard I want to buy already has one integrated. So, can I install the graphic card to the motherboard?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Faxxy

the motherboard I want to buy already has one integrated. So, can I install the graphic card to the motherboard?

Providing the Mobo has a PCI Express X16 slot, you can install a add on graphics card.

Note. How powerful a GPU is dependent on the PSU.

Please post a list of all your intended parts, including the case, GPU and PSU, so we can ensure that everything will work together.

Edited by iammykyl, 26 August 2012 - 05:31 PM.

Faxxy

Faxxy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I just want to buy 3 parts, for some games to work, till I got enough money to buy a new PC. Nothing special though: (*Note, I actually want to remove the graphic card which comes with the Mobo and add another one

http://www.gigatrons...m68mt-d3p-10107 - this is the Mobo, it's sadly on my language.

Translated: Processor type: AMD| Socket: AMD Socket Am3| Chipset: NVIDIA® GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset| Integrated Graphic card: Integrated in the Chipset: 1 x D-Sub port| Slots for expansion: 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 2 x PCI Express x1 slots 1 x PCI slot|

------------------------------------

I think that would be all that you'd need to know about the mobo. please ask if more info is needed.

Now the Graphic Card I want to install is:

http://www.gigatrons...-md1gd3lp-10504

Manufacturer of the chip: Amd Radeon
Memory: 1024
Memory Type: DDR3

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

(*Note, I actually want to remove the graphic card which comes with the Mobo and add another one

The video output is generated from a chip soldered into the Motherboard as part of the circuit, (integrated), this cannot be removed. When you install an add on GPU, the Motherboard will mange how and where the video signal will go, depending on where the monitor is plugged in.

Still need to know the following.

What CPU will you be using?

What PSU will you be using?

What RAM will you be using?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I do not wish to confuse you but,
it may not be necessary to get a new Motherboard and CPU. Do you still want help?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
If I may chime in with a couple of things that I have noted, these support why colleague iammykyl has asked the above questions;

The MB is the micro ATX form factor.
The graphics card is the low profile type.

This would suggest that you may have a small form factor (SFF) case and these often have very low powered and often different size and shape power supply unit (PSU), please note that the video card that you have asked about requires a PSU with a minimum output of 400W and this will be highly unlikely in a SFF case, in addition to what has already been asked please see my canned text below regarding system information that will help get you the best guidance from either iammyky - myself or whoever may be online when you post.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) can you also let us know what the intended games are that you wish to play as they also have minimum system requirements which will determine what you will need to purchase.

Cautionary note, the HD 6450 1GB 64bit video card is a bottom end video card when it comes to graphic intensive gaming.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Have you decided on the course of action you are taking? An update on the forum would be appreciated..

Thank you.