Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Home Network/Intermittent Ping Failures

• Please log in to reply

DACJR

DACJR

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have a home network that extends to my garage and barn. I am using 3 routers. The main router in my house is set up as DHCP server. One of the routers is plugged into an Ethernet port on my main router and the other router is plugged into an Ethernet port on my second router. The routers addresses are 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, and 10.0.0.3. They have worked fine for a couple of years now but I am having issues all of a sudden. I haven't had any storms or anything that would have damaged them. The problem is that when I try to ping my main router from my third router, 10.0.0.3(3rd router), the first ping will time out, the second ping will go through and the other 2 fail. Sometimes they all fail. I can ping my second router from my third router, 10.0.0.2(2nd router), with no problems. If I try to ping either router from my main router, 10.0.0.1(main router), I also get the same intermittent ping timeouts. I'm guessing there is something wrong with the cable that extends my network past my DHCP server(main router). The cable was cut in half when I installed it but I bought two RJ-45 female to female connectors and put new cable in-between the cable where it had been cut. It's basically three cables now but it isn't spliced or anything like that. The only thing that has changed is that I purchased a new wireless router to replace my main router, 10.0.0.1. I did try hooking the old router back up to see if that was the problem but I am still getting intermittent pings. Any ideas on what may be wrong with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hello there DACJR,

One of the routers is plugged into an Ethernet port on my main router and the other router is plugged into an Ethernet port on my second router.

Are you sure that you used the LAN ports here and not the WAN(Internet) port?

You mention that you use the address range 10.0.0.0, what subnetmask are you using with this address range?

The problem is that when I try to ping my main router from my third router, 10.0.0.3(3rd router), the first ping will time out, the second ping will go through and the other 2 fail. Sometimes they all fail. I can ping my second router from my third router, 10.0.0.2(2nd router), with no problems. If I try to ping either router from my main router, 10.0.0.1(main router), I also get the same intermittent ping timeouts. I'm guessing there is something wrong with the cable that extends my network past my DHCP server(main router).

You are probably right. Especially since pings from 10.0.0.3 to 10.0.0.2 are flawless. Do you have a spare (preferably new) Ethernet cable to your disposal?

If so, you can hook up a laptop or something like that to the first router and ping to the router to make sure it's not the router that is failing. (Highly unlikely, but still something you can rule out)

Regards,
Olrik

DACJR

DACJR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I'm sure the cables aren't plugged into the Internet port. The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. I do have a spare cable to use and try that out. I'm thinking I'm going to have go dig up that cable and maybe replace it with one that isn't 'patched' in the middle. I just don't understand why it stopped working all of a sudden since it hasn't rained lately.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hello DACJR,

Have you tried troubleshooting the cable?

Regards,
Olrik