Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to internet with cable or wireless.

• Please log in to reply

2boats

2boats

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, this driving me up the wall. I have recently changed my internet provider and received a new router. I have never had problems with connectivity before this. Now I can't connect, all I get is limited connectivity or local access only. I have tried lots of different methods to resolve the problem, it has taken me days...Please help.

Other computers in the house work just fine, so it definitely a problem directly related to my computer.

Thanks.

Tony

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
:welcome:

[*]Can you please tell us the exact make and model of your machine.Also what operating system are you using? xp vista 7
[*]Can you connect in safe mode with networking.
[*]Have you tried each user on the machine,if you only have one user on the computer can you create a new and see if it will connect that way.

There are many reasons why a machine will sometimes not connect to the internet.Here are a few things that might cause such an issue.

1.Sometimes drivers just become corrupted and an easy way to fix this is to open your device manager and expand your network adapters and right click the drivers and select uninstall.

2.Sometimes firewalls and antivirus applications can block access to the internet you can surely find information about this on google,the easy way to remedy this is to uninstall your antivirus and firewall,(only try and uninstall your firewall if you are using a third party firewall you will not be able to uninstall windows firewall) and then reboot your machine and check your connection.

3.Often times DNS is an issue when dealing with a no internet situation. There are a lot of free dns servers available out there and changing the dns is pretty simple. Just remember to open an (elevated if using windows 7 or vista) command prompt enter the commands ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /register dns after changing the dns on your machine.
http://theos.in/wind...ns-server-list/

I hope that one of these methods will help you if not there is still more that can be done just let me know and I will assist you further. :)