Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Multi monitors setup Problem

• Please log in to reply

MacMacDC

MacMacDC

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys, I'm new here.
So here's my problem:

I have an Acer Aspire X1900 with Video Card AMD Radeon HD 6450
Processor: Intel Pentium E6800
2GB DDR3

I have two monitors:
1 - DVI
2- VGA

Here's the question...
Is it possible for me to use the motherboard's VGA port for my 2nd monitor while using the videocard's DVI port?
I talked to a technician that says that it's possible but I have to use a software that can support these features...

Also, I am planning to buy a new video card that has DVI and VGA ports... Is it possible to insert the monitors there? Or can I use the DVI port on my 1st Video Card and VGA port on my 2nd Video Card.
OR Use DVI and VGA port on the new video card?

And last, it's possible to use two video cards, right?

Thank you for the support and reply... As you can see, I have already spent a week figuring this out.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
:welcome: MacMacDC

For reference purposes your computer specs are available @ http://support.acer....eX1900sp2.shtml please confirm that these are correct.

Is it possible for me to use the motherboard's VGA port for my 2nd monitor while using the videocard's DVI port?
I talked to a technician that says that it's possible but I have to use a software that can support these features

Sorry I am not familiar with such software.

Your best option is to upgrade the present video card to one that is capable of providing output to two screens, please be aware though that if the specs at the link are correct you will also need to upgrade the present 220W PSU (power supply unit) for the better card to function.

Using two different type video cards at any one time is not an option, stick with the best pci-e x16 card that you can.

We can advise further once your computer specs are confirmed and it will help if you tell us what country you are in, what the intended use is (gaming etc) and your maximum budget for the upgrade.

MacMacDC

MacMacDC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes that's the specs of my computer.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to purchase the new graphics card... The technician said my current graphics card is "Low performance" and my computer can only support such features.

So what I'm planning to do is... Use my motherboard's VGA port and my graphic card's DVI port.
However, the VGA port is not "activated" so is there a way to enable it?

Some said that I should check my BIOS if it can support both on board and pci-e video card.

MacMacDC

MacMacDC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok. I figured out that my main problem now is:
1. Enabling the onboard graphics card
2. Using both onboard graphics card and my Video Card AMD Radeon HD 6450: SIMULTANEOSLY

Question:
Is it possible to enable the onboard graphics card?
Because On BIOS:
-The option: "Onboard Graphics Controller" is grayed out and disabled.
-There are no options that can enable both onboard graphics controller and videocard.
And CCC (Control Catalyst Center) of AMD Radeon HD 6450:
-There is no option regarding Crossfire *Sigh*
-Does my video card support Crossfire
-Is Crossfire important at all?

Sorry for the hassle guys... I'm sure there are a lot of people already asked these type of questions but I really don't know how or what to search in Google regarding this issue.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
By default when you fit an add on video card the MBs integrated graphics chip is disabled, this feature can be turned off in the BIOS however all that this means is that you would have to use the MBs onboard video chip to get a display.

Please note that both will not run concurrently, it is either the add on card can be used or the onboard video chip and not both.

Your MB only has one pci-e x16 slot and one pci-e x1 slot which means that you would need a pci-e x1 HD 6450 add on card to pair with the present card that you have.

Yes your present card is crossfire capable but please note that this would require a quality brand PSU with a minimum output of 500W + any additional supplemental power connections that the cards would require, please see http://www.amd.com/u...overview.aspx#3
Crossfire or in the case of Nvidea cards Sli mode is mainly for power users such 3D designers, video renderers, games programmers and the likes, the average user/gamer can in the main get the required performance with a single but good quality and specification add on video card, be aware though that you also need to have other hardware to support and compliment the card such as a decent processor, sufficient Ram and of course a suitable PSU, if these don`t match up the system will bottleneck as the weaker components struggle to keep up with the faster hardware.

In short no crossfire is not always important and my advice would be to upgrade the present video card + PSU and depending on whether you are using a 32-bit operating system or the 64-bit version max out the Ram to 4GB for 32-bit or 8GB for 64-bit, that is if this has not already been done of course.

I hope that you find the above helpful and if you have any further questions or would like help choosing potential upgrades please feel free to give us a shout.