Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows update not working

• Please log in to reply

fubitzu

fubitzu

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Good day Geeks to Go,

I just recovered my Lenovo 3000n100 to its factory default settings. After that I immediately downloaded application for the system. One of them is MBAM for anti-malware purposes and the other is Microsoft Security Essentials but MSE can't be installed and I think it says it need to be installed only on SP3. I have only a windows xp professional SP2. I'm just wandering why my windows update seems not working. I updated my IE to IE8 so that I could view the windows update but it seems I still lack something. When I tried clicking Express Update this error shows "[Error number: 0x8024400A]". I'm not sure but i think its ActiveX. I'm just a beginner here so I don't know where to find that which is digitally signed. I set up my Automatic Updates to "Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them". my only concern is that i can't view the updates from my IE8 browser. Sorry for my English. I have a very limited internet time here. Will be expecting a reply. Thanks you very much in advance!

Advertisements

NightFury12

NightFury12

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hi
Download and run ATFcleaner from here --> select all and Empty selected.
Go here --> a Fix-it window will pop-up --> click Run now --> and then follow the prompts to run it.
Then download and install the Windows Update agent from below:
(32 Bit) x86: http://download.wind...agent30-x86.exe
(64 Bit) x64: http://download.wind...agent30-x64.exe

Then try to download service pack3 from here and then install. Once everything is all set with SP3, try to run the windows updates.

Edited by NightFury12, 27 August 2012 - 06:21 AM.

fubitzu

fubitzu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for the quick reply Mr. NightFury12. I tried the Microsoft Fix it but it wouldn't start because it requires me to update my windows xp to SP3 and .NET Frame work 2.0 or later. Should I continue on downloading the WIndows Update Agent?

NightFury12

NightFury12

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Yes, please proceed to the windows update agent. If you encounter or get any issues then proceed to the SP3 download directly.

narenxp

narenxp

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Try this

Download

Windows update agent

Save the download to your C drive

Click Start, and then click Run.

Type C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce and then click OK,install WU agent

Restart the PC and try to update

fubitzu

fubitzu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
After installing Windows Update Agent, Automatic Updates fired up!! YEAHPosted Image.... Thanks for the dibs sir NIGHTFURY12 and naren.

NightFury12

NightFury12

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Glad to hear that...Also keep other software's and Applications also upto-date......Take care... :wave: