Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not boot - 2 different BSOD screens

• Please log in to reply

clemons745

clemons745

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Whenever I boot my computer, it will go all the way to windows, but about 5 seconds after I enter my windows password, I will get the following BSOD:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xB9F1571D, 0xA7D80674, 0x00000000)

atapi.sys - address B9F1571D base at B9F0B000 datestamp 4802539d

After getting this, I attempted to boot into safe mode, at which point I encountered a different BSOD as follows:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF7898160, 0xF78E286, 0xF78E2568)

kdcom.dll - address F7898160 base at F7897000 datestamp 4f8f0f42

I did run a chkdsk on the hard drive and I am still getting these errors. Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

Do you have your XP installation cd?
You have provided no info on your system itself so I need to know if this is a branded system like Dell or HP?
If not is the OS installation disk a original Genuine Microsoft disk?
What we need to do is to attempt to replace the corrupted files by doing a repair installation. This will keep your data intact but replace the corrupted files.

clemons745

clemons745

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The system is a Dell Optiplex 360. I do not have the disks that came with it, but I do have a generic Windows XP disc. Will doing a repair installation mess up the programs on the system? Or will the programs need to be reinstalled?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

but I do have a generic Windows XP disc. Will doing a repair installation mess up the programs on the system? Or will the programs need to be reinstalled?

'
Does the disk match what is installed on your system? Home, Media or Pro and also the correct SP?
It should not interfere with programs and data.
You may need to do all the Windows updates again.
Understand if this disk does not match what is installed it could cause a big issue and may result in a format and fresh install having to be done. Please make sure before we continue.

clemons745

clemons745

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The computer has Windows XP Professional SP3. The disk I have is Windows XP Professional SP2. Will that cause a problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
yep most likely it will not work and say the version you have installed is newer then the disk you are attempting to use.

clemons745

clemons745

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Could I use nlite to slipstream the service pack into it and then use it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can try to make the slipstream disk.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I did run a chkdsk on the hard drive and I am still getting these errors. Any help would be appreciated!

If it Blue screens on normal boot after entering password and it blue screens on Safe Mode - how please did you run a chkdsk.

Did it stay on long enough do so, did you run it from recovery console etc.

atapi.sys - address B9F1571D base at B9F0B000 datestamp 4802539d

normally a drive or drive controller error

kdcom.dll - address F7898160 base at F7897000 datestamp 4f8f0f42

Kernel Debugger HW Extension DLL
again could well be associated with the above

Both MAY be a memory issue, although it is a little doubtful

If it is of course a hardware issue, a windows repair will not solve the problem.

If you cannot get into Windows even safe Mode - stable enough to carry out any troubleshooting, it MAYBE a good idea to test the Memory and I think run a chkdsk /r on recovery console.

I would also I think disconnect ALL external drives, flash drives and leave only monitor keyboard and mouse and try again

clemons745

clemons745

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I looked up the instructions on how to do an XP repair install, and it seems to have solved the problem, but now I am having trouble with Windows Activation. It keeps telling me that I have 30 days to activate Windows, but everytime I click "Activate Windows" under "System Tools", the activation window never opens.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
May be a sign of a hidden infection or something wrong with the windows activation service.
It also could have something to do with IE not working correctly.
Go to Add\Remove Programs make sure to click on Show All Updates on the top of the page. Uninstall IE updates which should take you back to IE6 or 7. Try updating IE then and then try Activation.

clemons745

clemons745

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am not seeing anything about Internet Explorer in Add/Remove Programs, even when I click "Show Updates".

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What version of IE are you using?

clemons745

clemons745

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It was IE8 before the repair install.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first thing is to update IE then.
Can you check to see what you are at now please.