Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

detects SATA as second drive but not when alone

• Please log in to reply

redwharf

redwharf

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a normal hard drive and it is set to master and all works. Two SATA drives are attached also and they are detected as i can see them on 'My Computer' and can access there programs etc when just working the computer normally. Problem: when i remove the normal drive (meaning the one with the ribbon cable) on bootup the computer does not find either of the two SATA drives that remain. I assumed one would just become the master (as it were). When i go into bootup in BIOS the two SATA drives are nowhere to be found. only the floppy and two DVDs are options on the BIOS bootup priority order list. Even when the normal drive is in place the two SATAS are not options on BIOS to putthem in the bootup priority list.

Why does the computer not find the SATAs to try booting from them?

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
At a guess, most likely the motherboard is older and while sata support was added, it was not added as a possible boot device. You could see if there is a BIOS firmware update available which solves the problem, but i wold not count on that.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
What is the model or Brand of your PC (HP??, DELL??, ACER??, ect) or what is the model number of your Motherboard (Asus ??, Gigabyte ?? ect)

Sometimes it is just a setting in your BIOS that will resolve this issue, by telling us the specs of your PC we might help you find the solution.

redwharf

redwharf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The motherboard says ASRock K7S41

Hope this helps

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I will stand corrected, but if that motherboard has SATA ports I cannot see them.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I must agree with you, I do not see any Sata Ports on that motherboard (ASRock K7S41).

Is this your motherboard?

[attachment=60202:asrock.JPG]

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Is there a controller board installed for the SATA instead of being on the motherboard?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well there must be, or two SATA/IDE adaptors me thinks

redwharf

redwharf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I guess it is a controller board. It is connected to the motherboard but sticks out from it and has two SATA connectors on it. Sorry this is taking a while but i am not really a hardware person. thanks for the help so far.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No problem.

If it is a SATA controller board as you suggest and the driver is installed on the IDE drive that is the answer to your first problem.
As to booting from the SATA with these controllers there are two ways to set them up one is for a non booting SATA drive and the other for a booting drive.

Obviously it cannot be a boot drive if there is not a bootable O/S on it

I have no idea of course which card you have but this will help you
http://sgcdn.startec.../PEXSATA22I.pdf

understand what I mean.

If you know the card, make find the driver from the card manufacturer and explore that

It maybe that it will tell you in device manager

I guess you are running XP

start
right click My Computer
click properties
click hardware
click device manager

If Vista or 7
click start windows button
right click Computer
click properties
and on left pane click device manager