Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Streaming Videos and BSOD

• Please log in to reply

thomashpotatoes

thomashpotatoes

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello,

My computer cannot seem to be able to stream videos for a prolonged period of time. Sometimes the sound would stutter and then the would freeze up into BSOD and restart the computer. The latest crash involved a nvlddmkm.sys crash. I searched on the forum on a related thread but didn't find much help there. Let me know what I need to do to fix this problem.

Side info:

I had this initial problem out of nowhere and it escalated to a point where I had to have a warranty repair because computer wouldn't start up...

Advertisements

Sunnovah

Sunnovah

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi thomashpotatoes, and :welcome:

I understand you are having problems streaming video.

The file you are referring to, nvlddmkm.sys, is related to nVidia video cards. Is this same file always referenced when you receive your BSOD? A good first step would be to update the drivers for your video card.

Can you please tell me what Operating System you are running? If you know what model of Video Card you have, that information would be helpful as well.

Edited by Sunnovah, 27 August 2012 - 03:12 PM.

thomashpotatoes

thomashpotatoes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
First of all, thank you very much for the rapid response and the welcome.

My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium. I have a Nvidia GTX 555M graphics card. On another note, my computer can't seem to be able to pick up my GPU as of the moment actually.. not sure if this is a related problem. I use to be able to flick a switch on the side of my laptop to turn on the GPU (I have intel HD graphics and GTX 555m) and it's no longer working. I have downloaded the most updated driver for the GPU but it doesn't seem to help..

Edited by thomashpotatoes, 27 August 2012 - 03:17 PM.

Sunnovah

Sunnovah

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
It's not a problem at all. What laptop are you using? You should be able to find the full model number on the bottom of the laptop.

Do you know if you are using the 32 Bit version of Win 7 or the 64 bit version?

To find out if you are running the 32-Bit or 64-Bit version of Windows 7:
  • Click on Start
  • Right Click on Computer
  • Select Properties
  • It will tell you what version you are running next to System Type.

thomashpotatoes

thomashpotatoes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I am using a Lenovo y570. I am not sure which one of the numbers is model number...

As for the operating system, I am using a 64 bit

Sunnovah

Sunnovah

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ok, Let's see if we can't take care of this.

First off, we are going to need to update your BIOS.

You can download the most recent version by clicking this link: Lenovo y570 BIOS

These instructions are copied directly from their help file.

Installing the package in Windows.
======================
Take IQY0206AX64.exe as example,
1. Restart computer.
2. Locate the file IQY0206AX64.exe that has been downloaded.
3. Double click the IQY0206AX64.exe. For Vista and Windows 7, you may run it as administrator by left-clicking on the icon and selecting ˇ°Run as administratorˇ±.
4. Click Install.
5. Click Flash BIOS.
6. Press Enter to start flashing. During the process, you are advised not to turn off the computer.
7. When the update finishes, the computer will automatically reboot for the changes to take effect.
8. Enter to BIOS menu, load default setting-> save and exit.
9. Please reboot the system again.

Once you have done this, let's update your Graphics Drivers. You can get that update here: NVIDIA Display Driver for Lenovo y570

The reason we are downloading and using this version is that although the version on the NVIDIA website may be more up to date, it is not tested with the laptop.

Once you have the new BIOS and drivers installed, let me know if you are still experiencing the problem.

thomashpotatoes

thomashpotatoes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Okay, I downloaded the IQY0206AX64.exe and clicked it. Apparently I need "elevation", or rather elevation is required. I am not sure what that means

EDIT: I had to run as administrator. Haha did not read the latter lines

Edited by thomashpotatoes, 27 August 2012 - 04:07 PM.

thomashpotatoes

thomashpotatoes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
So I ran as an administrator but it says "the version of ROM file isn't newer than that of BIOS"

EDIT: I am downloading the driver anyway.

Edited by thomashpotatoes, 27 August 2012 - 04:12 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am NOT suggesting that it is WRONG that a BIOS update is required
WHAT I am suggesting is that if it GOES wrong you may have a NON bootable computer

elevation means
BIOS Updates must be installed by running as administrator. This is explained in the associated text file which is grouped with each BIOS to download. Many users only download the BIOS and fail to consult the text.

NB Posted before your last response

thomashpotatoes

thomashpotatoes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks Sunnovah and Macboatmaster for helping thus far, but I think I ran into a problem with updating the Nvidia Display Driver, I don't think my computer is detecting the GPU GTX 555M at the moment. It's not longer present in the Device Manager. It was there..

EDIT: This was confirmed when I ran with the link you provided for the Nvidia driver. It could not detect the hardware

EDIT2: I restarted the computer. And my computer recognized the GPU again. This is really weird

Edited by thomashpotatoes, 27 August 2012 - 04:24 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I see at this time the 1000$ question as

I had this initial problem out of nowhere and it escalated to a point where I had to have a warranty repair because computer wouldn't start up...

what please did they opine was the fault and what was replaced.

thomashpotatoes

thomashpotatoes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I don't know what was replaced or what they did but before I had to send the laptop for a repair, my computer had some problem streaming online videos, which resulted in BSOD. I don't remember the culprit behind it but I did some tweaking and ran a program of related to Old Timer (OTM or OTB... forgot) and then it fixed it for one session. By tweaking, I mean I ran ESET Smart Security and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Anyway, I proceeded to shutdown the computer for later usage and when I turned it on again, it would not start and would always end up in BSOD. I even tried using safe mode but no luck. A key file was removed or something for the startup but I don't recall exactly the file name. And that's when I sent in for a repair.

EDIT: I don't recall Lenovo giving me information as to what they claimed the problem was. It was simply given back to me, like I first bought it

Edited by thomashpotatoes, 27 August 2012 - 04:37 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go device manager
Display adaptors
any warning please on there or indeed any other devices.

When streaming video are there signs of overheating at all, eg seems unusally warm air exit.
fan running overtime
where is laptop being used please eg on what surface

thomashpotatoes

thomashpotatoes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Here you go

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot.png

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Other devices - ethernet controller - I presume you connect wirelessly
what is shown on network adaptors if you expand it please

Also please answer as per my edit on the previous from you and also send me this please
Send this please and lets see what that BSOD mini dump says
Download BlueScreenView
download link is in blue zip or exe scrioll down page
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.