Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Living n a motel, wifis gotten to where it don't like "HTTPS&#

• Please log in to reply

penelopepony

penelopepony

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I still am open to any ideas, if ANYONE has an idea they think might be better than an USB N adapter.

I've written a couple of other cases, then closed them after getting too confident that all was good, but that has only come back to bite me in the bud, hope this isn't another of those times. :D

(8/30/12) happily now I'm at the thought that my ? about a neighbor or 2 is, their just gamers, & probably NOT hackers :D & the antenna idea, or any other notion were my silly "Public WiFi" fears.

This was quoted from a website of a small town/school system, which helped me answer a question or two; They stated that they did not enable WEP (Wired Equivalency Protection), WPA, or any other encryption methods on any of the wireless equipment used in their network.

Therefore, no special keys are required to use the service. WEP encryption is not yet practical for a public access network, due in part to the absence of a standardized method for relaying encryption keys between different manufacturers’ equipment. They also encourage their subscribers to observe good security practices.

I'm on a 2011 $450 Toshiba Satelite, a yr old, & it has an 802.11N, & to my last knowledge, the public wifi I was connecting to, had a "G" but I did learn they got a new router a few weeks ago, I'm thinking that is the Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC I'm seeing in my status properties. I thought the Realtek was my new antenna :( it wasn't.

In short, just practice good Internet Securty Practices:
• Keep your operating system and software applications up-to-date.
• Use up-to-date antivirus and malware protection.
• Use an Internet firewall.
• Don’t send confidential or personal financial information over the
wireless Internet.

I totally trust this site, or I wouldn't have went thru the following 3 security warnings to continue this post, things are getting REALLY crazy for me, updating JAVA last night, I guess didn't fix the prob.

[attachment=60136:new sec.PNG][attachment=60137:new 2.PNG][attachment=60138:new 3.PNG][attachment=60098:security.PNG]

I did change passwords the other day in HTTPS. Simple sites such as local weather, tv guide, no problem, but start using HTTPS & go to Ebay, facebook, outlook, etc... I did tell owner that I don't do HTTP, unless it be someplace that doesn't want a password (Password here is way different than what I use, I now have to write all my words down). I'm seriously beginning to think it's what I told the owner of the motel/apt.s where I live, a HUMAN behind my problem.

[attachment=60099:explorer prob.PNG]

My clock shows correct time & is US Central time zone, so time problem I don't believe is the problme.

[attachment=60100:https.PNG]

(8/28/2012) RESET my pc a total of 5x's back to Factory settings. I worried it was DOUBLE Anti-virus (Factory set Norton), but I used the removal tool, and feel that that is not it, however, I've been wrong before :D

(8/28/2012) tried IE9, worked better than Chrome for a bit, but it went south too. 5x's went back to "FACTORY SETTINGS" since issue began, getting faster w/re-sets, but NOT @ all fun.

Tried LavaSoft on 8/27/ :( not good, deleted it.

(8/28/2012) lil yellow stick across the top of my screen, ANOTHER security thing, oh boy :(

8/28/2012 Around 8:30 pm reported issue finally up & going, for about 2 hr's, & of coarse, it's when motel owner was sitting @ pc... than BAMM, back to normal, then about 2am, up again, got up, & @ about 10am back to CRAZY security cert. stuff.

Added newest version Java about an hour ago (8/29/2012, 2am :( ) Tired...

Hope my NIGHTMARE & lack of facebook, emails, slot games :D for about a week, helps someone :D Please feel free to use my week of suffering to your advantage :D

TY

Penny

Edited by penelopepony, 29 August 2012 - 11:30 PM.

Advertisements

penelopepony

penelopepony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
:help:

Edited by penelopepony, 27 August 2012 - 11:36 PM.

penelopepony

penelopepony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
:surrender:

[attachment=60097:explorer prob.PNG]

This is what is currently showing while I'm here on this site.

Edited by penelopepony, 27 August 2012 - 11:37 PM.