Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Converting a wired connection to wireless

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
actually, looking at the router you posted, there's no reason that it should say "cable" anywhere on the product...it's not a cable modem, that's just a regular wireless router

Advertisements

Masked Man

Masked Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
OK so I've had a look, and none of the routers I've got at home will work. I'm looking at this one (Belkin surf n150), I've had a few belkin wireless devices and they seem to have worked pretty well so far. Also, if you look at the rear view picture on the website there's an ethernet size WAN port, so as far as I can see this should work. Have I missed anything?

Edit: Sorry Dsenette, didn't see your post on the second page. OK, its out of stock so I'll see if I can find it for the same price somewhere else. I appreciate the help :)

Second Edit: Lol, just realised that the two links I posted were actually about the same product. I wonder about myself sometimes. If somebody with know how could just confirm I haven't missed anything that they can see and that it should work, I'll be done here :)

Edited by Masked Man, 04 September 2012 - 04:42 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Don't go for that Belkin, it's an old one that only supports Draft-N, and the proper release 802.11n routers have been out for some time. There were problems with the release of the N wireless standard in that some manufacturers jumped the gun and release "draft-N" devices which weren't compatible with other brands, nor were they compatible with the final N ratification.

Masked Man

Masked Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Right ok then, this is an ebay listing for a Belkin Surf N150 F7D1301. Is it likely this will have the same issues, or is this a more updated version?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well it doesn't say "draft-N" so it looks OK to me. Only problem is I can't seem to find the product page on the Belkin website to confirm.

Masked Man

Masked Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've bought it, I'll wait for it to arrive and see if I can get it working easily. Thanks to everyone that helped :)