Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need motherboard help!

• Please log in to reply

jgregg

jgregg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello. My computer has power, but the monitor, the keyboard, and everything else plugged into the back doesn't come on. I have an HP Pavilion a6603 desktop with a Foxconn mcp73m01h1 napa motherboard. I'm thinking I may need to replace that, but I can't find the exact one. Do you think that's the problem? If so, which motherboard would be compatible with my computer? (here's the specs) And thanks!

Manufacturer: Foxconn
Form factor: microATX - 9.6 inches (24.4 cm) x 8.5 inches (21.5 cm)
Chipset: GeForce 7100/nForce 630i
Memory sockets: 2 x DDR2
Front side bus speeds: 800/1066/1333 MHz
Processor socket: 775
Expansion Slots:
1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
2 PCI Express x1 slots
1 PCI slot
Processor
Intel Core 2 Duo E2220
Processor upgrade information
Memory
3 GB
Memory upgrade information
Video graphics
Integrated graphics using GeForce 7100
Sound/Audio
Integrated Realtek ALC888S Audio

Advertisements

dandy0850

dandy0850

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Start by reducing system down to bare minimum (ie 1 stick RAM remove any cards , use onboard graphics and remove hard drive) See if machine will boot to BIOS , if it does not then your issue (once u change and try with other stick of RAM as that may be the problem) may well be power supply , U will need to confirm the PSU is good as although it may show power that may not be enough and could still be faulty , need to try hook up PC with a known good supply.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
:welcome: jgregg

If I may add some further information regarding how and why the PSU needs to be swapped out for a known good one that is capable of supplying all of your existing hardware as a minimum.

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

Please be aware that there are no user replaceable parts in a PSU so a bad one should be disposed of in a responsible manner and any type of conclusive testing will need to be done by a suitably trained Tech who has the required testing equipment and the relevant knowledge as to how to use it.

What is the brand and model of the present PSU please.

I hope that you do not mind my contribution here folks.