Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying a new computer, really need some advice

• Please log in to reply

windchaser90

windchaser90

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
This will be a lot to read. Sorry about that.

I want to buy a new computer, tower only, and I am customizing a computer on the HP website. I DON'T want to buy parts and completely build my own computer so please don't suggest that. Other people have but I only want to buy something pre-built. I don't have the computer knowledge to try and figure out what to buy and it'd just take too long to research and learn it.

The computer is for web surfing, adobe program use (illustrator, photoshop, ect.) and some gaming (Aion, Guild Wars 2, mmo's). It's important that the computer can handle adobe programs well as I use them a lot and I'm going to college for graphic design and they're important programs for designing. It's not important that the games can play at high settings. As long as the games are playable at all I'm fine. I'm not interested in getting a computer that can play all the current high end games on the highest setting possible, those I play on my Ps3/Xbox when they're multi-platform. I would also like some ideas for a cheap but decent graphics card to possibly upgrade to that's under $200. My budget is $600-$900 altogether for both the comp and card, if I decide to get the card.

Would this computer be good enough?

HP p7-1380t series
Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
Processor: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor [3.0GHz, 6MB Shared Cache] (is this quad core?)
Memory: FREE UPGRADE to 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs] from 4GB
Hard drive: FREE UPGRADE to 1TB 7200 rpm hard drive from 500GB
Secondary Hard Drive: 500GB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
Graphics card: 512MB AMD Radeon HD 7350 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter] or 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT620 [DVI, HDMI, VGA via Adapter]
Primary optical drive: SuperMulti DVD Burner
Networking: Wireless-N LAN card (2x2)
Sound Card: Beats Audio ™ -- integrated studio quality sound

Or this one

HPE h8-1320t series
Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
Processor: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2320 quad-core processor [3.0GHz, 6MB Shared Cache]
Memory: FREE UPGRADE to 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs] from 4GB
Hard drive: 1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
Secondary Hard Drive: 500GB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
Graphics card: 1GB DDR3 AMD Radeon HD 7450 [HDMI, DVI, VGA via adapter]
Power Supply: 300watt
Primary optical drive: SuperMulti DVD Burner
Networking: Premium Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth(R )(2x2))
Sound Card: Beats Audio ™ -- integrated studio quality sound

I'm really more searching on if the processors, memory, and graphics card are good enough for what I want to do with the computer. I'm still debating on a lot of things and if I want to just buy from Best Buy or some other site a pre-built comp that has these in it if they're good enough or do the HP customization and buy from their website.

I have a GeForce 8600 GTS 512MB that I'd like to replace the graphic card with. Is it compatible and would it be good enough for those games at the moment? I will probably replace the card at a later date, that's why I wanted some graphic card suggestions. And I have a 460 watt power supply I can switch in for the card. I don't want to get a new power supply unless there's absolutely no choice for the new card if I get it. I know it's a lot and I hope this all made sense.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi windchaser90, Posted Image

Given your usage, the selected builds will not perform for you. go to > http://www.hardware-...-december-2011/ it will give you a good idea of the type of hardware you should be putting in your build.

Have a read and please do reply.

windchaser90

windchaser90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Wow, shows how much I don't know about computers and stuff lol, which is like nothing lol. Very interesting link, thanks for sharing it. I def. have a lot to think about now.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Glad to have been of service, hope I have not deflated you enthusiasm to configure a computer. We would be more than willing to put a rig together for you. You could buy the parts yourself and do a deal with a local store to build it for you, be cheaper than buying ready made.

If you can use a screwdriver and follow a tutorial, it honestly is not that hard to build your own.

Enquire at your

college about student software, it is heavily discounted, even Window7.

Any other questions, or need more help, "just whistle".

windchaser90

windchaser90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
That would be really great if you could put one together for me. I really need a new computer fast, my current one is dying on me, and I think it'd just take me way too long to try and figure parts and put one together myself. I could see myself spending months at this, I'd be really lost.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
This build will get you up and running and give plenty of upgrade potential for the future. ie. CPU, RAM, SSD/HDDs
for the moment, can you make do with your existing monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers? Would you be able to reuse other parts like, HDD, optical drive?

Much of Adobe software for good performance depends on CPU cores, memory and the number/configuration of the HDDs. So this base build only has 1 HDD, 16GB of RAM.

> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fXjB

windchaser90

windchaser90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Would you be able to put together a cheaper build? While it definitely seems like a great build and I'd love to get it, it's really more then I can spend. I've had to rethink a few things and I have to drop my budget down to $600-$700. I'd really appreciate if you could put a wireless LAN card in there as well. I can go over my budget a little bit if I have to for the wireless card but all the other parts needed to build the computer need to stay within the budget or I'm in trouble :/. I have wireless in the house and I've had bad luck with usb adapters and I don't want to deal with them anymore so getting the card is really important to me.

This is the computer that I have right now.
http://h10010.www1.h...9614.html?dnr=1

I'm pretty sure the hard drives are still in really good condition to use as additional hard drives (they are Seagate Barracuda ST336032 OAS) if that's possible and I don't really use the optical drive that often so I think it's ok too but anything else in it I wouldn't trust to reuse, if they were even worth reusing anyways. I'd rather just get new parts. The monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers I have are fine, I just need the tower built.

Thank you so much.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK, will see what can be done cutting down the performance a bit but still make it as upgradable as possible as you need it for your college work.

Your existing computer actually has only one HDD, partitioned, so it appears as 2 drive. The optical drive would be reusable as well as the card reader.
How much do you think you could sell the computer for?

This option, gives you the best core performance, same CPU and Mobo, RAM, HDD, case and PSU, reuse, HDD for the OS, programs. Optical Drive, Video card,
> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fYox

Suggested wireless adaptor. > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833704133

windchaser90

windchaser90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The original card was replaced with the GeForce 8600 GTS 512MB but I want to replace this card also. It was a hand-me-down and I really want to replace it. Would you be able to add in a cheap but good video card too and that's better then the one I'm using? The budget is still $600-$700. I don't mind if any of the parts need to be downgraded to add in the cost of the video card. Sorry that I keep asking you to re-work the build >.<, I really hope you don't mind. I'm still thinking over a lot of things and having all these different and re-worked builds are really helpful.

Thanks again and sorry x.x.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Not a problem reworking the specs, will see what can be done but sorry, not till Saturday. Will post then.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
This is about the best configuration i could come up with. It is somewwhat lacking for a workstation type build, cut the CPU, HDD and memory down to get a GPU that would be useful in the future,

> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/geHI

reuse, HDD and Optical Drive from your existing PC,

I do think the build from post #8 is the best option, you could remove the HDD, saving a little. Make do with you old GPU, save and get a GTX 570 down the track.

Edited by iammykyl, 01 September 2012 - 08:41 AM.

windchaser90

windchaser90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you so much!!! I probably will do the option in post 8 and get the new card later. Can't wait to get my new computer together :).

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thank you so much!!! I probably will do the option in post 8

Your welcome, and I think that a wise decision.

Download the Mobo User Manual from the manufacturers website as it could be more up to date than the one contained in the retail box, it will also allow you to familiarize yourself with it as well.

A couple of How To Builds,
> http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/ Thanks to our own Troy and Artellos.
> http://www.diy-gamin...ild-a-Computer/

When you come to build, pick a time where you will not be interrupted, take the phone off the hook, take your time, don't rush, double check yourself as you go.
If you are not sure about something, stop, ask us, someone will be watching and give you help.

windchaser90

windchaser90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a few REALLY dumb questions.

What about like ports and stuff? Usb ports and the ports for the mouse and keyboard, guess those are called PS/2 connectors? Are usb ports part of whatever case you buy? Is there a way to add more usb ports or it just depends on how many are on the case already? With audio jacks and stuff, for speakers and headphones and mics, do they have to be part of the case already to have them or can they be added? Are the mouse/keyboard connectors and jacks part of one of the other parts already (like cpu, motherboard, idk lol) or is that something else that needs to be bought? I hope those questions made sense, I really don't know anything about this stuff lol. Obviously, I need to be able to hook up my mouse and keyboard to the new comp and I need jacks for my speakers, headphones and mic lol.

And the ethernet port is part of an ethernet card right (in which I didn't know that, LOL, til I looked it up)? Can you suggest a good and cheap ethernet card then? I use the ethernet port on my current comp to connect my older xbox 360 to the internet since it doesn't have built-in wifi and I don't play it enough to buy the wireless adapter for it, so I want to have an ethernet port on the new computer also. You can have both an ethernet and wireless card in a comp right? I'll probably have a ton of other stupid questions pop up.

windchaser90

windchaser90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Oh, and the card reader on my comp, you said I could reuse that on the new comp right? Do all cases come with like whatever slots needed to fit that in? Will the suggested case be able to fit the card reader in? And will I need to like buy extra wires or anything for any parts or do they already come with all the wires needed for connecting and stuff?