Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Buying a new computer, really need some advice

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Quick reply. Just looking at the selected case and see that the Promo codes runs out today. > http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts

I have a few REALLY dumb questions.

I don't think there are dumb questions, just stupid answers, and I've made a few of them.

The case has 2 USB 2.0 ports on the front, you connect them to a USB header on the motherboard, also on the front of the case are 2 audio jacks for headphone and mic. you can add more USB ports to the front of the case by a panel and connecting to a header on the motherboard.
all other ports and sockets are on the Motherboard and you have, a PS/2 socket for mouse/keyboard, 4 USB.2.0 sockets and 2 USB 3.0 sockets. Sockets for a sound system/speakers. All the connects you need are supplied and you do not have to buy anything else.

The Motherboard has a RJ-45 LAN (local area network)socket. 'LAN' is the same as 'Ethernet' for your purposes. There will be no need for you to by an addition card.

Oh, and the card reader on my comp, you said I could reuse that on the new comp right? Do all cases come with like whatever slots needed to fit that in? Will the suggested case be able to fit the card reader in? And will I need to like buy extra wires or anything for any parts or do they already come with all the wires needed for connecting and stuff?

The card reader will fit in one of the top front bays on your new case and no need for new wires as you will reuse the ones already attached to the reader.

windchaser90

windchaser90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Oh! I see, thank you for clearing that all up for me.

Ok, I was looking at the images for that motherboard (should have done that sooner, it basically answered my questions LOL) and it only has one PS/2 connector on it, looks like for mouse if purple is like standard color for connecting a mouse. Both my mouse and keyboard use a PS/2 connector each and I don't want to buy a wireless keyboard >.<. I don't like using wireless keyboards/mouse because of battery replacement. I'd rather stay with wired ones. I would assume there's an adapter or something I can buy for this then?

Edited by windchaser90, 03 September 2012 - 10:43 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts

I don't like using wireless keyboards/mouse because of battery replacement. I'd rather stay with wired ones. I would assume there's an adapter or something I can buy for this then?

You can buy cheap adaptors, but they just alter the pin arrangement, A converter will change the signal, is more reliable, should allow access to the BIOS at Boot. This one. > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812224031

This will work on a Standard keyboard, Multi media keys are not supported. With any of the solutions available, thee is no guarantee they will work 100% of the time. You could buy a wired USB keyboard.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Hi windchaser90.

How is your project progressing? An update would be appreciated.

windchaser90

windchaser90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to buy the parts yet and I might not be able to get them for a long while due to some problems, I'm not completely sure on everything as of yet. The help here was definitely great though for getting together the list of parts to get when ever I finally can buy them and put together this computer. I will definitely let you know when I've bought my parts and start working on building the computer, I just really don't know when that will be though. Hopefully things will settle out and I can get to doing all this very soon.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Thank you for your update. The topic will not be closed so, whenever you are ready, just get back to us,

Good luck for the future.