Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Delayed response to keyboard typing

• Please log in to reply

BerDov

BerDov

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
s/w: MS office 2007;
5 days old HP with 2.2Ghz processor, 6GB DDR;

I bought this computer for my wife and so far installed MS Office 2007 only. Plus AVG and Malwarebytes.
Two-three days later she started complaining that, at various times, with no logic or consistency, Word stops responding to keyboard. If you do not watch the screen, the previous sentence might look this:

...at various times, with no logiistency, Word stops responding to keyboard...

This looked similar to computer freezing for a moment during AutoSave, so I disabled AutoSave in Word, but the problem persists. Incidentally, her paper is only 45 pages long so even AutoSave should take a fraction of a second on this machine.

The same MS office 2007 package worked flawlessly on the previous computer for several years.

I think I just observed the same issue when using Notepad. I hit F5 to records date/time, but it took me 2-3 strikes before the timestamp appeared on screen.

The keyboard is wireless; I changed batteries, but it is not helping. Its little USB antenna is plugged in in the back of the tower. Is it possible that the signal is weakened by...what?

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Boris

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Click on start..type in msconfig..... press enter

Click on start up tab...uncheck everything except your antivirus

note... if this is a laptop leave synapyics or alps checked or your touchpad will not work

unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use... they just won't launch with Windows... reboot and open notepad...try typing as fast as you can...then tell us how it went

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Thank you!
I did not realize I may have omitted an important piece of information. I installed a GeForce card because my wife uses two monitors. A computer store tech suggested that an old Windows driver may have been installed during the initial configuration. This was indeed the case. I just installed the latest driver from NVIDIA. If this does not fix the problem, I will run the msconfig test as you suggested.
Thank you again!
Boris