Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with upgrading and choosing plug-ins for old computer

• Please log in to reply

don't.explode

don't.explode

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Greetings.
I just joined and am hoping for guidance. I have an old machine and Firefox is nagging me to upgrade my plug-ins, but the upgrades they recommend require a faster processor than my pentium three at 929 MH. Also, I do not game or download videos or watch movies, and wonder if I need the plug-ins that seem to have appeared on my computer with no effort on my part. Here is what I have: panda active scan 2.0 ect. [I have an excellent anti malware program already];
shockwave flash 9.0 ect.
microsoft drm 9.0ect for netscape, whatever netscape is
microsoft drm 9.0 ect network object
windows media player 3.0 ect. [I don't download sound, such as music]
So I need to know which of these I actually need and what and where I can get upgrades that are compatible with my processor and satisfy Firefox.
Thanks very much. :help:

Don't.explode

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Disable and remove all except Shockwave flash. None of the others are needed.

On an old, slow machine like this you would be better off using Internet Explorer 7 instead of Firefox. DO NOT upgrade to IE8 though, it will slow the machine down even more.

don't.explode

don't.explode

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Disable and remove all except Shockwave flash. None of the others are needed.

On an old, slow machine like this you would be better off using Internet Explorer 7 instead of Firefox. DO NOT upgrade to IE8 though, it will slow the machine down even more.

Thanks Ztruker.
I simply have too many problems when I use IE. I already upped to ie8,it is slow, but the same problems as before continued. What version of flash should I get as the most recent,11, is incompatible with my processor. I'm told 10.something was good, but don't know where I can download it. Do you? Also, where can I get an older version, but newer than 9.0? I have disabled some of the plug-ins, but they don't seem to have uninstall programs, so would like to get them off, but don't know how.

don't.explode

Edited by don't.explode, 28 August 2012 - 08:20 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Maybe here: Flash Player Help / Archived Flash Player versions

Also, uninstall IE8 which should take you back to IE7. It puts much less of a load on older computers.

don't.explode

don't.explode

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks. I never use ie8, does it still need to be uninstalled?

don't.explode

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you are not using it then it doesn't matter, leave it or uninstall it.

don't.explode

don't.explode

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ztrucker,
I went to the flash site you suggested, but they had a ton of different downloads, and to further confuse me, something called a debugger in with them. Is that a flash download, or just an update? Anyway, I didn't know what to download that would get me as up to date as possible while still being compatible with my pentium 3 processor of 929mhz and nothing I could find there gave system requirements, so I am afraid I have to ask again for help. I should have mentioned that they didn't have computers when I was in school, and I am not very technical anyway. Someone said something about a version 10 something being better than 11, but 11 requires a much faster processor anyway. Thank you.[sorry if this bores the more technically astute people, but the site said it was for all levels, so I signed up.]
don't.explode

Edited by don't.explode, 31 August 2012 - 03:36 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I think you want the older Standalone version: flashplayer9r280_win_sa.exe that is contained in Flash Player 9.0.280 and higher (21.8 MB) located here: Archived Flash Player versions

don't.explode

don't.explode

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ztrucker,
I just went to the site and downloaded fp9r280, the one you said. It said save, I clicked ok. Then I clicked on the downloaded file and nothing happened, it didn't run, a window came up with the version and also said downloaded file, and in the window was the document. When I clicked on that it just opened and 2 new documents within it appeared. Usually when I click on a download, it starts to run. The only options given me on the site were to save it or open it with some program from a list. So how do I get it to run and into my plug ins as it didn't go into my plug-in list, which still shows the outdated flash.
don't.explode

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Here is something that you can do to speed up your machine a bit.

As far as having anything start up with your machine the only thing that you need is your antivirus and anything to do with wireless if you connect in that manner.I suggest you disable everything else.
http://www.netsquirr...sconfig_xp.html

Download the program below unzip it to your desktop and set it to run on the next boot.
http://technet.micro...s/bb897426.aspx

Then clear all of your restore points and create a new one you can do this by turning off system restore and rebooting and turning it back on and rebooting again.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

Then download Erunt and create a backup of your registry and then download ntregopt and run it and then reboot.
http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/

Now defrag your machine with auslogics select defrag and optimize just uncheck the boxes that suggest installing other software when installing auslogics disk defrag.
http://www.auslogics...efrag-setup.exe

Download Autoruns and Autorunsc unzip Autoruns to your desktop run it.See any entries that read file not found when you see them uncheck these entries do this only for the entries that read file not found also uncheck any scheduled task that are set to run on your machine,close the program.
http://download.sysi...es/Autoruns.zip

1. Right click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware Tab > Device Manager
2. Left click the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers group
3. Right click on Primary IDE and hit Uninstall if there are more than one go ahead and un-install all of them they may request a reboot but wait until you have uninstalled the last one to reboot your machine.
4. Reboot the computer, the Primary IDE drivers will re-install themselves after you reboot.
5. Go back to the Device Manager and Left click the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers group again.
6. Right click on Primary IDE Channel and go to Properties > Advanced Settings tab.
7. Make sure that both Device's Modes are on "DMA if available".
8. Link Explaining http://msdn.microsof...e/gg463526.aspx

Also here is something can help with internet explorer it should help you load the pages faster.

Open command prompt then type or copy and paste each line hitting enter after each.To open command prompt hit the windows key and r at the same time and type cmd.

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

regsvr32 Mshtml.dll

regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll

regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll

regsvr32 Shell32.dll

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll

Now reboot the machine and see if internet explorer loads pages faster.

I will leave you with ztrucker I just thought you might like to know this info .:)

Edited by rockmilk, 31 August 2012 - 08:34 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
It's a ZIP file so you need to extract what it contains. You can do this by right clicking on it and selecting Extract all. Once that's done then you can browse the extracted files to find the flash you need.

don't.explode

don't.explode

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I right clicked on it and no option remotely resembling an extraction came up. Tried this at one point, then 2 others, still no extraction option.

don't.explode

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
don`t explode

My colleague Ztruker is offline at this time.

Have you started on any of the details of the post from my colleaue rockmilk please, as I would rather you wait, until Ztruker or myself, explore a little more

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'm wondering what you downloaded then as XP has built in support for zip files. Right clicking on one should look something like this:

ZipContext.jpg

The file, when downloaded, is called: fp9r280_plus_archive.zip

don't.explode

don't.explode

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I am sorry. I don't understand why I would do any of that? I thought it was just information in general. I don't use IE, as I said in a recent post, so why would I need to do all those things. I am happy with the computer's speed on the internet, I just need to find the proper upgrade for my machine. Don't get the connection between that and what he wrote, except he just wanted to give me general information. Thanks for the general info. Still trying to figure out what flash version to get and where to download it, as I originally posted. Thanks,
don't.explode