Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building first computer from scratch advice?

• Please log in to reply

cantstopthemadness

cantstopthemadness

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi - ive fiddled a bit with adding parts to old computers, but never built one from scratch. Im looking to spend a max of $700- $6oo preferred USA, and i have monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers ect all covered. ive got several working DVD drives and cd drives ect, but i am using a hard drive i feel is dying, so i definitely need a new one.

Im not a huge gamer, although i am currently working with making 3D designs,and i use a program called Secondlife(memory hog) alot. my current system is an emachine that is sorely underpowered and out of date, with the highest video card i could get for it, the Radeon hd 5550. Anyways i want to build a machine that can handle major 3-d graphics, but not necessarily needing to be a gaming computer per say. I use windows 7 and can get that fairly cheap as a student so i wont include that as part of my overall cost. I need your help and suggestions, ive been reading reviews on everything and ive got a fairly good idea what i might like.. but im open to suggestions from pros.

what i want in a decent system:

STRONG GRAPHICS CARD (plan to eventually double whatever card i get as i save enough money)
HARD DRIVE- at least a 1TB hard drive
MOTHERBOARD that supports 16 gigs+ memory (8 with current system goes fast)+ can handle updating CPU in future perhaps?
STRONG CPU - no older crap - i want newer technology more oomph for the money
POWER SUPPLY- at LEAST a 400-500 watt power supply (higher good if under 600-700 price range)
PC CASE - Durable enough for travel in a trunk 2-4 times a year - Roomy enough to fit stubby hands and upgrades inside (i do NOT want a laptop thank you anyways)
CONNECTIVITY TO HDMI TV (vision problems needs large screen - have cord)
UNDER $700 TOTAL including shipping to 53704 Zip code ($600 again being the preferred target)
I have used AMD based computers all my life so im actually quite comfortable with them. (not a necessity i suppose)
basically if it was your money and you wanted the best system you could get for it, what would you want to get for your own use?
Much thanks in advance for all your suggestions - JJ

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: cantstopthemadness

A list of parts to consider (a little over budget I`m afraid) http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g4vn

The present budget was slightly restricting as I would have liked to have suggested the FX8150 CPU, a higher output PSU as you have said that you intend adding a second video card later on and a bigger case to allow for future upgrades, the list can be tweaked to suit any changes you would like made.

Let us know your thoughts and any questions please ask.