Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer 4620 wont boot up or go to Windows [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ladybelle

ladybelle

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I was given this computer and apparently it had never had any anti-virus software, so I put mine on there. I ran a scan and it found three trojan viruses and removed them. Two of them were trojan.gen.2 and the other one was trojan.maljava!gen3
I used the computer Online for about and hour and it was fine, and then I turned it off.
Today when I turned it on, it goes to "Acer eRecovery Management" then it tries to boot into "Windows", then it shows a screen that says "Acer eRecovery Management"
I do not have a recovery CD, the option to "Restore system from users backup" can not be clicked on, and when I click on the first option, "Restore system to factory default", it goes to a screen called "Restore Partition" and a box comes up saying "Cannot format the object drive. Please press OK to return"
Then a box comes up saying to click ok to restart the computer.
And then the whole process starts all over again.
My cousin gave me this computer and I need to copy off some pictures for her on a CD. These pictures are very important!
To my understanding, if I do the system restore, it will delete the pictures.
AND when I got the computer, I put a CD in there and it wouldn't play, then I tried a DVD and it wouldn't play... and I think I searched for the CD-ROM drive, and when I found it, there wasn't a drive listed... like the drive wasn't there at all.
Its a conundrum!
Is there any way to access the backup manager from the setup utility?
I'd like to back up the files before I restore the system and lose everything.
And, is there any way to access the system restore from the setup utility?
The system restore wont let me do anything, so my only option to do anything, is the setup utility.
Did those trojans destroy this computer?
Is there anything I can do to save the pictures then restore the system?
If there is anything I can do, Please Help!!!
Thanks.

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Hi, ladybelle. Welcome to GTG. I'll help you out with your issue. Just give me an hour or two for my next response. Have to go now.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Hi, ladybelle. Let's back up the needed files first before anything else. Now you seem to be saying that the CD/DVD drive wasn't working within Windows. What about outside of Windows? For the next steps, I'd recommend you prepare an external storage device other than a CD (preferably an external hard drive that's large enough to store all the needed files). Connect it to the concerned computer and try the following:

• Download OTLPEStd.exe to your desktop.
  • Once downloaded, insert a blank CD in your burner and click on OTLPEStd.exe. The executable includes the OTLPE_New_Std.iso and a copy of imgburn, a program to burn .iso files. When executed, the application will extract both and start the burning process automatically.
  • Once the CD is burned, boot the Non working computer using the boot CD you just created. For more information, click here
  • Your system should eventually display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Once it's fully loaded, access the My Computer icon on the desktop and go to the root drive and copy the needed files to your external storage device.

If you need assistance with locating the needed pictures, please let me know what Windows you have there and I'll give you possible locations for any picture folders.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.