Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it the motherboard!?

• Please log in to reply

Nenei

Nenei

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I've had the worst luck with computers lately. I had to return a $700 laptop and got one that was almost $400 cheaper. Gateway/Acer is supposed to be good, but I've had nothing but problems!
The hard drive clicks when nothing is being accessed on the drive. This is irritating. How can I make it stop? It's a Hitachi hard drive.
Sometimes the cursor will lag and I'm hardly doing anything. I've turned off drive indexing, still having this issue.
The other night my keyboard went out and the laptop made sounds as I pressed the keys, but nothing was typed.
Now, I seem to have a dead pixel on my screen. It's a little bright white bit.
Also, when I scroll using the trackpad, my computer beeps through the speakers.
I've just had the worst luck. Can anyone help me with this?
The specs:
Gateway NE56R10u
Intel B820 1.70GHz processor
320GB HDD
Intel HD Graphics
3GB DDR3 Memory
Windows 7
I can apparently screenshot the dot on my screen, so I've included that.

Attached Thumbnails

• asdj.png

Edited by Nenei, 29 August 2012 - 11:27 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The best advice I can give you, is that if that Gateway is still covered by any sort of service warrantry, you should return it.

The other point I would mention is that heat is the kiss of death to laptops, notebooks and netbooks

Operating the computer on anything but a flat surface, where the airflow is completely unobstructed is extremely risky

It may be called a laptop, but operating it on your lap, with the vents of the case unable to obtain an air flow, may easily result in the symptoms you describe.

The white spot, may well be a graphics problem, rather than anything connected with a failed pixel, if by chance you have read about that.

Porblems such as yours, whilst we are always keen to help, are not the easest to solve in an online situation and I repeat, that the best advice is to invoke the service agreement if it is still current.

The more you try, the less the chance of you then being able to achieve a repair under warrantry

If the problem on the other laptop which you exchanged was in any regard, possibly attributable to the operating conditions regarding the airflow, then you need to consider this in future.