Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer very slow following microsoft.net and microsoft sql server in

• Please log in to reply

Russ3

Russ3

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi. Yesterday I installed a music management program (ZenPoint MusicCenter). During installation it said that Microsoft.Net and Microfsoft Sql Server were required and it recognized I did not have them and offered to install them and I went ahead and let it do so. The music management program was just a trial and I didn't like it so I uninstalled it using the "Add or Remove Programs" area of Control Panel. But that did not uninstall Microsoft.Net or Microsoft Sql Server. The next time I shut down my computer (or maybe the time after that) it said there were updates that needed to be installed. There were a lot, 14, and it took a long time and the computer crashed before finishing (got the windows had to be shut down message) and then the installs started back up once I turned the computer on. I assume the installs had something to do with Microsoft.Net but I don't know for sure. Now my computer seems to be taking alot longer to start-up in terms of how long it takes from the time it enters windows until the time the computer is responsive to my commands to open programs, etc. Anyways, I just want to go back to the way things were before I did these intalls. What is the best way? Should I just do a restore? What are the steps for that? Is there a way to see a history of what was installed when and what the updates that ran were? Here are the specs on my computer, not much memory or speed so not surprising that a new install would slow it down...

Dell Tower Optiplex GX280
3.2GHz processor
1Gb of RAM originally with another 1Gb added
80Gb SATA hard drive

Thanks!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. Right click on the HDD in My Computer, click properties
How much free space is there please on the 80GB drive

2. Open Control Panel
That is start and Control Panel, then click Add/Remove programs, click show update history
when that opens, you will see the updates that were installed.

3. go start, type in run
msconfig
when that opens click the startup tab
we are interested in the items that have a check mark in the small box to the left of the entry
with that on the desktop press the Prt Scrn key
then go programs accessories and open Paint
now on the edit tab click paste
the image will appear
now on the file tab
click save as
on the box for file type it will show Bitmap, that is too large to attach, click the arrow to the right of the box and select JPEG
Save it to desktop
Now on reply click use full editor and follow instructions to attach image

4. You may if you wish try a system restore
that is
Programs
accessories
system tools
system restore
YOU choose the most recent date before the installation of the ZEN
HOWEVER be aware that anything since then, docs, images etc and all installed will be lost.