Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Build compatibility test please help

• Please log in to reply

Goldyn

Goldyn

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey guys, Ive been doing a lot of research for my upcoming computer build for gaming and I just wanted to ask some smart computer people on this form if my parts seem compatible, sorry if this is asking a lot but I could really use some help. Thank you.

Parts:

Motherboard=
ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM= CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R

Power Supply= COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAD3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Case= Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded
USB 3.0

Graphics card= ZOTAC ZT-50313-10M GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448 Cores (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CPU= Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

Operating System=Windows 7

I also have not picked out a hard drive yet as I am unsure of what to go with, so any recommendations, I would be beyond grateful. I know you experts must get a lot of questions similar to these and dread responding to them all, but I am far from computer savoy and could not do this on my own. Thank you so much if you took the time to read this, I am beyond appreciative, could use any and all help.

P.S. how does this look so far for an above average gaming build?

Thanks in advance guys.

Advertisements

Goldyn

Goldyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I should mention this is my first build, so be gentle :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Goldyn, Posted Image

P.S. how does this look so far for an above average gaming build?

A pretty good start but really would benift from some tweaking.

What would be your budget?
What games do you intend to play?
What monitor do you have, make/model and resolution you want to use?
What OS will you use?

Goldyn

Goldyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
My budget is around 1200$ total for the tower itself.

I currently have a 22inch Samsung LED computer monitor.

I plan to mostly play MMORPG's such as WoW, Guild Wars 2, exc (Also minecraft and other various games)but I also want to be able to use it for college as well. But generally mostly for gaming.

I plan to run it on a windows operating system :)

Any other questions you have I will be glad to provide

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for your reply.

Does you college work specilize in anything like video;/photo editing?

Sat morning here, so it's of to the stores. Will post a tweaked build this evening.

Goldyn

Goldyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Of sorts yes, its going to be heavy with graphic design and various programming. Thanks so much for all of your help so far :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Looks like, to begin with, gaming will come first, then your college work. A good gamer will be OK for graphics design, but not the greatest as it will not be a workstation.
Have a look on this site to get an idea of the type builds.

Have a look at Gaming PCs and Workstations under the heading, Build Your Own Computer. > http://www.hardware-...ems/gaming-pc/

Goldyn

Goldyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks so far for your help, I will post my finished build here later today

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
My apologies, I did no intend to throw you in at the deep end, sorting out your own build, but gave you the sites to browse, so you might see what was required for your build.

I will wait for your post and give feedback and the specs I come up with.

Goldyn

Goldyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Alright thanks, But from the parts I've posted if I was to get a computer with most of those parts? Would I bee fine or no? I should specify my friend who works with computers is getting me a deal on a lot of those parts and I have some already, but I will be trying to change it up. Sorry if this question sounds confusing, but with the parts specified, would a computer run games at max graphics alright? (I will be changing up some things)

Advertisements

Goldyn

Goldyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Motherboard, RAM, Power Supply, and the Case I already own. I'm nervous now that I splurged to soon and that with these parts I would not get the build I'm looking for, I also purchased Corsair Force Series SSD, since a lot of these were deals a friend could make for limited time. With those parts said, can I still tweak some things to my advantage? Should I buy other parts to replace some that won't get my desired effect? Or will these parts work fine for the time being? (I would be willing to replace them as time goes on) I know I've changed the question a bit, so any help on replacements is beyond appreciative.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Alright thanks, But from the parts I've posted

Can't see an actual link to a list of parts. Please post the make and model of everything you have purchased. A list of the parts you are thinking of purchasing, then we can answer your questions.

Goldyn

Goldyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have these parts currently

Motherboard= ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM= CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R

Power Supply= COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAD3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Case= Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded
USB 3.0

SSD= Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Sorry if I'm a little confused on what your asking

I plan to buy these

Graphics Card= MSI N660 Ti PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CPU= Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

Operating System= Windows 7

*Would be willing to buy something else if it would help*

Edited by Goldyn, 01 September 2012 - 06:52 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry if I'm a little confused on what your asking

Perfect, exactly what we need.

First off, Any chance of exchanging the Motherboard, not critical, but you would be better of with a Z77 (the latest) based Motherboard, compare your board and the suggested, > http://www.newegg.co...3^13-157-293-TS

The other parts you have already purchased are good to go.

Let me know about the return of the Motherboard and we can then look at the CPU, GPU.

Goldyn

Goldyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'm not to sure let me look into it. But for now what do you recommend for CPU and GPU as good quality if I were to keep this motherboard, and what would you recommend if I was to get the other?