Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Build compatibility test please help

• Please log in to reply

Goldyn

Goldyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
So far I'm not to sure if I can take it back, will this damper my rig when it comes to playing max graphics?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

what do you recommend for CPU and GPU as good quality if I were to keep this motherboard, and what would you recommend if I was to get the other?

I would use the same GPU on both boards,
The CPU on both boards, > The Intel Core i5-3570K > http://www.newegg.co...4^19-116-504-TS

I would go for a low profile RAM, this insures no compatibility issues if you ever decide to fit a large after market heat sink and cooler.

Goldyn

Goldyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
So from what we discussed I will now be purchasing the rest of my build, It will get here in a few days, can I come back to this thread if I have any problems?

The final build will be

Motherboard= ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (Sadly can't replace the motherboard as of yet but I will still try to get the other one)

RAM= CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R

Power Supply= COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAD3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Case= Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded
USB 3.0

GPU= MSI N660 Ti PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CPU= Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

Operating System=Windows 7

SSD= Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

How does that look? I know its prefered to get the other motherboard, but for right now how does that look? I may still be able to take care of the motherboard.

Goldyn

Goldyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Never mind I'm returning the old Mobo and getting the one you recommended, thanks :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Never mind I'm returning the old Mobo and getting the one you recommended, thanks

A good decision, and your welcome.

OK, if you still want to use the RAM with high heat sinks.
OK, for the rest of your parts.
OS, Windows7 > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832116986

As you are using a 120GB SSD for the boot drive, OS and Programs, it is advisable to have a second HDD, (mechanical) where you store DATA, medie and backups, including images of the OS drive. we can provide instructions later.

HDD, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822152185

You will also need an Optical Drive, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827135204

Anti static wrist strap, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16899261005

Optional, but I highly recommend you install a mini internal system speaker, this gives beep codes at POST, indicating OK, or a problem, > http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

Goldyn

Goldyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Alright I will purchase those things but just a few quick questions.

Sorry if I sound ignorant but what do you mean about the RAM and the high heat sink?

Also if I get the HDD is it self explanatory to set it up for what you said or would you be willing to help instruct me? I plan to use the instructions this site gives on putting a computer together, would I need the follow anything extra? Would you be willing to explain setting up the second HDD when the time comes?

Thanks a bunch your a real life saver

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry if I sound ignorant but what do you mean about the RAM and the high heat sink?

No need to apologize, you just lack a bit of knowledge, definitely not ignorant, I would not expect you to deliver a baby if you had not done it before.

About the RAM. Some of the RAM slots are close to where the CPU heatsink and fan are installed. High fins on the top of the RAM sticks do not interfere with the installation of the heat-sink and fan that are supplied with the CPU you are getting. If in the future you decide to over-clock the CPU and the temps get too high, you may want to install an after-market cooler, with some large units the high fins interfere with the installation, so to be on the safe side, I recommend low profile ram, low fins. you will see no difference in performance with the ones in the link, pick which one you want, different colours, > http://www.newegg.co...5E20-231-548-TS

Instructions for installation of the drives are included in the packages. We will give you help with setting up the software side when the time come, not too complicated.

I see you have the How To Build from this site, here is another to look at, > http://www.diy-gamin...ild-a-Computer/

Download the User Manual for the Motherboard you are going to buy, from the Manufacturers website. It may be more up to date than then one you receive in the retail box and you can also familiarize yourself with the instructions.

Let us know when you have all the parts.

Edited by iammykyl, 02 September 2012 - 10:12 PM.

Goldyn

Goldyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Alright thanks so much for all your help, I will keep you posted, and if I have any other questions I will make sure to ask :)

Goldyn

Goldyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
All parts will be in by Thursday my time, so excited

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
It's a bit like Christmas.
Check ,
the parts you receive are the ones you ordered,
The packaging is not damaged,
each item is in a sealed box and it is not damaged, unless you have ordered "open Box Item" (especially a case or screen)
If anything not right, inform the suppler straight away.
Do not throw away any boxes, packaging, paperwork or bits left over. I find they will all fit inside the case box, keep in a safe place.

Read all the manuals and instructions before you start.
begin when you won"t be interrupted, take the phone of the hook.
Take you time, double check what you have done.

If you are not sure about something, stop, ask, we are here to help.

Advertisements

Goldyn

Goldyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Now commencing build, hope all goes well

Goldyn

Goldyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have everything put together as in everything is secured in the case, but I'm having real trouble figuring out what to plug what in where, very confusing

Goldyn

Goldyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Starting to figure out all the plug ins, managed to get computer up and running now just installing windows 7 and fixing up some cords, any advice on setting priorities for devices? and how to set-up that second HDD?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Sorry not here to help with cabling. but good that you have the computer up and running.
There is no need to set or alter any device priorities.

Did you enter the BIOS and set the time and date?
Are all your fans running?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
It appears there has been a problem with the site and I have been unable to post until now.

You have installed windows?
Have you installed the Mobo drivers, Automatic or Manual?
If you have not already installed the second HDD, Do not install yet.

Let us know at what stage you are in the installation.