Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to recover .dbx back to Outlook Express 6

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kelvinb

kelvinb

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Guys

pls could someone help - OE6 has managed to ' loose ' 3 years of sent emails. I have found the dbx files and can read them when using Mail Navigator but dont fancy having to pay 30 quid to get them to OE6 - does any one know how I can re-instate them back to OE ? any ideas pls

thanks in advance

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi Kelvinb,

Do you have only some dbx files or a complete backup of the mail folder used by Outlook Express including files like Folders.dbx, Sent Items.dbx?

kelvinb

kelvinb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi

thanks I have done a .dbx search and can see folders.dbx and sent items.dbx and loads of other .dbx stuff but I didnt do a proper 'back up'of any emails

does this help ?

cheers

M

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi

thanks I have done a .dbx search and can see folders.dbx and sent items.dbx and loads of other .dbx stuff but I didnt do a proper 'back up'of any emails

does this help ?

cheers

M

The proper backup for OE mails is to have a copy with all the DBX files inside your identity folder if you have that you can restore.
Do you have Outlook Express working now with new e-mails inside or its clean without any mails?

Edited by SleepyDude, 31 August 2012 - 04:47 AM.

kelvinb

kelvinb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi

my OE6 seems to be running OK ( sends receives etc ) but still missing 3 years of sent emails. MailNavigator can pick out the missing ones but wont let me reinstate them without paying for the program. I have downloaded the UNDBX v2.0 program which is brilliant at reinstating the known good dbx emails but it cant see or pick out the missing ones.

I have copied the 'sent items.dbx ' to a separate folder to work on just in case.

Any clues pls ?

regards

martin

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

Now i understand your problem you have some bad dbx files...

Try DBXtract you can find the old free version 4.5 on this page if it works all the messages will converted to individual EML files.

The EML files can be imported to Outlook Express if you drop them inside a OE folder.

Edited by SleepyDude, 03 September 2012 - 03:12 PM.

BonMaria57

BonMaria57

• Pip
  • 3 posts
If the email gets accidentally deleted, DBX file becomes corrupted, media gets corrupted or header of DBX file becomes damaged, all the OE mailbox items become completely inaccessible. Users fail to read the emails and other mailbox items due to inaccessibility in the DBX file. To read the OE emails and access the mailbox data, DBX file needs to be recovered. Recovery of DBX file retrieves all user data and restores them in new DBX or EML file using Kernel for Outlook Express software.