Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New PC! :D

• Please log in to reply

ROK99

ROK99

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
So, recently my mainboard failed. :( So, i decided to take 400$ and see what i could do to pimp out my PC with some new parts! :D

I added:

Spoiler

But i had a problem with my ram. :( It's specs say that it runs at 1600, but it runs at 1333. When I try and correct that, it has an error, so i use the MemOK button and it is reverted back to 1333. Anyone know how i could remedy this? Please help! :3

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It is not a problem
It is running correctly

It may be 1600 ram but it will run at 1333
http://ark.intel.com/products/53422/

ram is controlled as much, if not more, these days, by the processor, as against the motherboard
Memory TypesDDR3-1066/1333
that is from the link above

See my short article here

http://www.geekstogo...-do-i-purchase/

Trying to keep it as simple as possible, the ram will work at 1333., as that is what the processor is designed to work with, by default and that is what it will see, unless of course it was 1066 ram you were inserting

IT MAY although most certainly not advsiable, as the gain in performance will be minimal IF ANY, be possible to alter settings to drive the ram at higher specs.

IT IS, please accept not worthwhile, the risk is far greater than any small gain, in fact a better word is minute

I have had a look for you - do NOT please try and change settings

Your ram supports
Features Intel XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) Certified

and your motherboard does
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)

but all reports I have read indicate that your processor will NOT like it if you attempt to tweak to use that ram at 1600

ROK99

ROK99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well I plan on buying a new processor, and no too soon as I just dropped 500 dollars on this system. The processor was free, but so no money wasted. But, for such a small improvement, the ram speed is not worth it (as you said). Thanks for your help.

Edited by ROK99, 01 September 2012 - 04:01 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please do forget to check the processor details for the ram supported.

IMHO changing BIOS settings eg. overclocking, even if done with the inbuilt facility on many motherboards is really not worth the risk

Extra Cooling requirements, and stress on components by driving beyond their default design limits is all too risky, for the slight benefits.

ROK99

ROK99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Anyway, thanks a bunch Macboatmaster!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are welcome
Please keep us posted when you get chance how things work out for you