Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU fan spinning for half sec

• Please log in to reply

modoy

modoy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello there,
today at morning when i started PC everything was alright, then i turned it off. after 2 hours when i wanted to start it again, nothing happens. PCU isnt bad since when i click it to 1 at the back, keyboard with mouse flash.
now i saw that sometimes (just sometimes) when i push turn on, CPU fan is spinning for like half second and then it stops, but thats all i can see.

specs:
MB: Gigabyte 990fx-d3
CPU: AMD FX-4100 3600 MHz
RAM: Corsair 8GB KIT DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Vengeance
Graphic card: nVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
PSU: Corsair TX550M (550W)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
:welcome: modoy

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your computer - we will do our best to help you remedy the cause quickly.

Common causes of this are overheating due to a broken/disconnected CPU fan, dust etc, a bad PSU, bad Ram or an incorrectly seated memory or video card, please refer to my canned cleaning guide text below;

Do you have or can you borrow a known good PSU of the same or above quality and output?

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan.

Make sure that all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the PSU (power supply unit) details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.
Just a cautionary note, if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

Post back when you have done the above and let us know the results, if no joy we should next look at the Ram and video card.

Some guidance regarding PSUs (power supply units)

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

Please be aware that there are no user replaceable parts in a PSU so a bad one should be disposed of in a responsible manner and any type of conclusive testing will need to be done by a suitably trained Tech who has the required testing equipment and the relevant knowledge as to how to use it.

modoy

modoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for answer,
CPU, PSU, MB and RAMs are new, bought them like 1,5 week ago, while in case they are around 5 days max so i cleaned everything. today at morning it was working again but at afternoon when i turned it off and went to watch TV, it again stopped working when i tried to go now at it, again half sec spin CPU fan and nothing happens. wondering if it can be bad CPU fan because at preview of CPU lot of ppl said that u should change it ASAP, because its not good.
wondering if tomorrow and morning it will work again.

its pretty much weird when computer works at morning but not at evening? once i had problem when computer wasnt working good at morning because of sun while at evening it was ok, but something like this i have never seen, so if there is any more advice it would be good.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Swapping in a known good PSU if you can would be my first suggestion, Corsair is my preferred brand of PSU but I am not keen on the modular type also please note that the TX550M has had known reliability issues, see the Newegg feedback tab http://www.newegg.co...9032&Tpk=TX550M

If you cannot try an alternative PSU I recommend that you do a bare-bones set-up outside of the case, see my canned text below;

First remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure that all connections are secure and the CPU fan is securely attached and connected to the correct fan header on the MB (CPU fan header)