Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Looking to upgrade my current PC - CPU and Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

FleshPound

FleshPound

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello!

I'm looking for any kind of help or advice, I'm trying to upgrade my Desktop to play games. (it only needs graphic/video card, and a more powerful CPU?)and well, I'm slightly less smart in the PC area.

I was looking for anything that isn't crazy like 1000$ or anything, Just something to use for most steam games. Namely Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 dead. Which I was told are CPU heavy.

If anyone could possibly help me, (or need me to explain more. :X) would be much loved!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Hi FleshPound, Posted Image

A little more information will help us help you. Please answer every question.

You want to keep as much of your existing computer as possible and upgrade for gaming?
What are the specs for your existing computer, HP, Dell, custom build?, include monitor brand/model.
In which country will you be purchasing your parts?

Depending on your existing specs, you may need to upgrade the PSU to power an upgraded rig.

Going off line now, so another member may step in to carry on.

FleshPound

FleshPound

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the welcome! :D

Actually, I'm willing to upgrade much of it. :o I'm not sure of what I need exactly, or how good or bad what I have right now is decent spec wise. I'm looking for a gaming PC that can at least handle stable FPS, high graphic settings is simply a bonus.

I have an Acer Alpha? (This desktop was given to me by a friend, I'm not exactly sure what it is exactly. I'm flying somewhat blind here.)So for Monitor, Tco'3 SVA?

as for specs;

AMD Athlon™ Dual Core Processor 4050e

CPU speed of 2.1 GHz Performance Rated at: 3.36 GHz

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (build 6002), 64-bit

NVIDIA High Definition Audio

131.6 GB

Or if I'm missing anything, Is there anyway I can check what my specs are exactly? Like I said, I'm utterly lost in this. :X Much thanks to anyone that can help!

And I'm looking to buy within the USA!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Hi FleshPound

Download and then run Speccy and then post a summary screenshot of the results please http://www.piriform.com/speccy can you also provide your maximum budget for the upgrades.

The one thing that Speccy will not tell us is your PSU (power supply unit) details and as pointed out by iammykyl this must be kept in mind as this may also have to be upgraded in order to provide enough adequate and stable power, any new video card will have a particular bearing on this.

FleshPound

FleshPound

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Posted Image

I hope this works, If you need me to take screenshots of all the results I shall!

And I will keep that in mind, Thanks for the responses!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Info.

Find your games on this site then you can find the system requirements. > http://www.game-deba...x.php?year=2009

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Hi FleshPound

Please do the following;

Open Speccy.
Open File.
Publish a screenshot.
Choose Yes and then copy/save to the clipboard.

Attach the results to your next reply please.