Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Home 64bi,t lost admin password.

• Please log in to reply

dez_chg

dez_chg

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Good afternoon All,

I have been a complete idiot and I am now in need of help.

I purchased a new laptop the other week and set a password on the admin account and now i have forgotten it.

I have another account but it is just a user account. so i can't do much on here.

Is there a default admin account I could log into and change my accounts password? Or perhaps another way to find out what password i put in or change it?

Many thanks

Dez

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
BIOS or Operating System's passwords are there for the purpose related to Security and Privacy to protect the legitimate owner of a machine. While there are many locations on the Internet that might help you learn about managing passwords for a machine's BIOS or Operating System, we at G2G do not assist in bypassing past a machine's Security and Privacy safeguards.

While such requests are often legitimate, and come from users who experience exactly the kind of problem that you post, we have no way of determining legitimate vs. not legitimate, therefore we do not respond to such requests.

However we can assist Pursuant to the Terms of use guidelines as followed:
"Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any Windows user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc. Infringing of intellectual property rights (such as copyright and trademark rights
"we can assist you with a reinstallation if that is what you wanted."

dez_chg

dez_chg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the quick reply,

I understand why you cant help. looks like i will need to send it back to the shop for a reinstall.

cheers

Dez

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you do that any data information you have will be lost. Most shops will not backup data as part of their normal routine. You would have to specifically ask them to do that which usually is a extra charge.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi guys...

A good computer repair shop should be able to reset or at least remove the password for you. The difference being that they can verify your identity whereas we cannot.

wannabe1

dez_chg

dez_chg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Just a quick update.

I managed to remove the password after using a third party program. It's so good having my files back. :thumbsup:

Cheers for you replies,

Dez

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for letting us know and for the good news. :thumbsup: