Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help

• Please log in to reply

sherriberry

sherriberry

• Pip
  • 2 posts
my sister has a laptop Toshiba C655-S5132 today it was working fine, she closed the lid and when she reopened it it acted like it was froze up so she turned it off and back on, now it won't do anything except give her a black screen that says
Check cable connection!
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
No bootable device --insert boot disk and press any key

she took the back off and unplugged the hard drive and put it back in and that didn't fix it, does anyone have any idea what has happened and how to fix this.

it has windows 7

thanks
Sherri

Edited by sherriberry, 02 September 2012 - 07:54 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome,

This is happening because the computer is not getting the message that Windows 7 is on the hard drive and able to be loaded. There are two possibilities for this: 1) The hard drive has crashed and needs replacing (most common cause in my experience); or 2) the boot sector on the hard drive has become corrupted and needs to be repaired.

Do you have a Windows 7 disc with the laptop or is there only a Toshiba Recovery disc set? Or no discs at all?

Is there any data you need recovered off the drive or do you have backups?

Regards,

Troy

sherriberry

sherriberry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
yes i do need lots of stuff off it :( I made the required disks when i first got it and when i try to run them they give me a error and shuts down

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
We do have a tutorial here that helps you to recover your data:

http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

However from the sounds of it, the hard drive is most likely dead (which explains the recovery media error and shut down). If this is the case the only option to recover the data would be from a professional service, which unfortunately is not cheap.

Please, in future, make sure you backup important data!

I would recommend if possible, take the computer to a professional for a quote.

Troy