Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apartment/motel/hotel speed & "security certificate expired no

• Please log in to reply

penelopepony

penelopepony

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
You all have ALWAYS helped me, except this issue was for me a BIG mystery.

1st problem) Sluggish, SLOW speed on my Toshiba Satellite L655, 1yr old, Win7 on motel/apt WiFi. 18-24Mbps lately & even when I would get 36Mbps, still sluggish, then they came by and ask to kind of hold back on downloads & to make it fair :confused:

Then NEW problem after buying a lil $9 802.11n booster antenna on Ebay, it didn't improve :( software wouldn't load, but started seeing that Realtek was working :confused: Turned out they got a NEW router @ the office.

2nd problem) BIG 4 me, "The security certificate has expired or is not yet valid!" Sites like, Paypal, Outlook, Hotmail, Facebook, etc... UNLESS I give up my security (Drop the "S" http) :surrender: I just knew one of neighbors was doing more than games.... SPOOFING :help:

HAPPY ENDING, hope this might help...

#1, HAPPIEST part, no SPOOF's I believe w/in this 20 acres :D
#2, My PC clock, & office are set to the right time.
#3, Office does have a new "N" router, but only it seems to only be sending out a "G"
when I go only on their WiFi signal, so at best, I was expecting ONLY at max to get
about 54Mbps's when I EVER did find an antenna (Hours on Ebay, NewEgg), being the
impatient person I AM, finally went BACK to Wally world.

BOOSTER did NOT work 4 me.

What did, a UNIVERSAL WiFi RANGE EXTENDER :wub:

Shockingly, I'm receiving a "N" signal, SOLID green bars & a 76Mbps speed :wub:
Don't ask me to explain ANY part of this, I just don't know.

Not ONLY can I watch video's & play games, I got away from buffering.

Next project, a CANTENNA, I want MORE speed, this is fun, & from my research, I should be able to get up to about 300Mbps... I know, some of you got Gz's or something :D

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Shockingly, I'm receiving a "N" signal, SOLID green bars & a 76Mbps speed :wub:

from my research, I should be able to get up to about 300Mbps

Don't forget that 300Mbps is a theoretical maximum and will be influenced by factors (such as the surrounding environment as you have found out). If you are getting 76Mbps and consistently good internet (i.e. no buffering to use your words) then this is a good result.

Given your situation (motel environment) I don't think you'd get much better than that unless you were to use a wired connection. Perhaps ask management to get a data cabler in? :lol: