Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATTN: godawgs - Ex-gaming laptop won't play any games [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

And I believe Quicktime is at issue, too.

How so?

Advertisements

Jules4me

Jules4me

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
When I enabled Quicktime, the page didn't load right. I disabled it and it loaded fine.

Jules4me

Jules4me

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
So do I uninstall Shockwave and Quicktime and reinstall? What do you think of the program Revo Uninstaller? I heard about this program today and it seems like it not only uninstalls the program, but also any related files.

Yes, I was extremely excited when the page loaded!! Yippee!! :woot: :yeah: :tazz:

Another question. What is your recommendation of where to go to ask if I have a question about an issue on any of our computers. For example, in Spybot, if Spybot finds the CouponBar, but says it has to run at startup to delete it, but never finds it in the startup run, where is the best place to go to ask about this? I just don't feel right taking up so much of the forum and you wonderful volunteers' time. :notworthy:

I am so glad to be nearly finished with this computer. I have fought with it for months and months. Thank you so much for all your effort and never giving up. :cheers:

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

So do I uninstall Shockwave and Quicktime and reinstall? What do you think of the program Revo Uninstaller? I heard about this program today and it seems like it not only uninstalls the program, but also any related files.

Uninstall Shockwave from the Control Panel then go to Adobe.com and under the Downloads heading (about half way down the page on the right) click Adobe Shockwave Player. You will probably need to install Shockwave for the IE browser and also for Other browsers.....like you had to do with Adobe Flash.

Same for Quicktime....although if you don't use it very much you may want to consider just leaving the add-on disabled.

We use Revo occasionally when the Windows uninstaller fails or doesn't complete the uninstall or if a program leaves behind registry entries that need to be removed....and there isn't a dedicated removal tool for that program. The "related files" that Revo removes include registry entries so if you don't know what needs to be removed or fail to follow the program directions very carefully you will damage your machine.

Another question. What is your recommendation of where to go to ask if I have a question about an issue on any of our computers. For example, in Spybot, if Spybot finds the CouponBar, but says it has to run at startup to delete it, but never finds it in the startup run, where is the best place to go to ask about this?

Well, Spybot has a user forum. It works a lot like this one. Are you talking about Spybot on this computer or another one? Cause it's not running at startup on this one....until we re-enable it in the cleanup.

I just don't feel right taking up so much of the forum and you wonderful volunteers' time.

It's not a problem. This is how we spend out time. We will stick with you till we resolve something or tell you that we've exhausted everything we can think of.

I am so glad to be nearly finished with this computer. I have fought with it for months and months.

And I know it seemed like months and months to get it clean...but it wasn't. And I think this was a better option that reinstalling Windows.

Thank you so much for all your effort and never giving up.

You are welcome. I will be back with the cleanup instructions....but it may be tomorrow afternoon.

Jules4me

Jules4me

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
No the Spybot issue is on the last one we worked on. I guess it got put on there from being on coupons.com. That is another issue for another time.

I will look forward to your post.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

No the Spybot issue is on the last one we worked on. I guess it got put on there from being on coupons.com. That is another issue for another time.

I will look forward to your post.

OK. When we finish with this computer we can get another OTL scan on the other one and if it shows up we'll have OTL kill it. If you want to do that <_<

Sometime the Coupon Printer software shows up in the Control Panel as an installed program. Look and see if it is there. If it is, uninstall it and see if that solves the problem.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hey there,

OK! Well done. :thumbsup: Here is the best part of the process! The mullygrubs are gone! That's a technical term for your log(s) appear to be clean! If you have no further issues with your computer, please proceed with the housekeeping procedures outlined below.
The first thing we need to do is to remove all the tools that we have used. This is so that should you ever be re-infected, you will download updated versions.

Step-1

Program Uninstalls

1. Click the Start Orb, click Control Panel. Under the Programs heading click Uninstall a program
2. In the list of programs installed, locate the following program(s):

ESET online scanner

3. Click on each program to highlight it and click Uninstall
4. After the program(s) have been uninstalled, close the Installed Programs window and the Control Panel.
5. Reboot the computer.

Delete the folders associated with the uninstalled programs.(Only do this if you uninstalled the program)

1. Using Windows Explorer (to get there right-click your Start button and click "Explore"), please delete the following folders(s) in red (if present):

C:\Program Files\ESET

2. Close Windows Explorer.

Step-2.

Uninstall ComboFix
  • Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard. This will display the Run dialogue box .
  • In the Run box, type in ComboFix /Uninstall (Notice the space between the "x" and "/") then click OK

Posted Image
  • Follow the prompts on the screen.
  • A message should appear confirming that ComboFix was uninstalled

Step-3.

OTL Cleanup
1. Please copy all of the text in the code box below. To do this, highlight everything inside the code box , right click and click Copy.
  • :COMMANDS

[EMPTYTEMP]

• Please re-open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Place the mouse pointer inside the Posted Image textbox, right click and click Paste. This will put the above script inside the textbox.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Let the program run unhindered. When finished click the OK button and close the log that appears.
  • NOTE: I do not need to review the log produced.
  • OTL may ask to reboot the machine. Please do so if asked.
2. Please re-open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Be sure all other programs are closed as this step will require a reboot.
  • Click on Posted Image
  • You will be prompted to reboot your system. Please do so.
The above process will remove some of the tools used and logs created during the cleanup process. After it is finished, OTL will remove itself. This is so that if you are ever infected again you will download the most current copy of the tool.

Step-4.

Uninstall AdwCleaner

Re-open AdwCleaner
  • Click the Uninstall button
  • Confirm with yes
Posted Image

Step-5.

Delete from the Desktop

FSS.exe
FSS.txt
SecurityCheck.exe
Checkup.txt
jre-7u7-windows-i586.exe

If you still have any tools, logs or files that were created during the cleaning process left on your computer you can go ahead and delete those off of your computer now, and empty the Recycle Bin.

Step-6.

Make a Fresh Restore Point, Clear the Old Restore Points, and Re-enable System Restore

The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs from changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected, but that's good news).

Note: Do not clear infected/old System Restore points before creating a new System Restore point first!

For Vista and Windows 7:
  • Click the Start Orb. Click Control Panel. Click System and Maintenance
  • Click System
  • In the left column under Tasks, click Advance System Settings and accept the warning if you get one
  • Click the System Protection Tab
  • In the Available Disks box put a ckeck mark in the box next to OS (?:) (System). Your drive letter will be shown in place of the ?

Note: It may take some time for the system to populate the Available Disks box, so be patient.
  • Click the Create button at the bottom
  • Type in a name fo the restore point, i.e: Clean
  • Click Create
  • A small System Protection window will come up telling you a Restore Point is being created.
  • Another System Protection window will come up telling you the Restore Point has been created, click OK
  • Click OK again.
  • Close the Control Panel
Now we can purge the old Restore Points
  • Click Start(Windows 7 Orb), click Run (or press the Windows key and R together) to bring up the Run box.
  • Copy and Paste the following in the Run box:
    cleanmgr
  • Click OK
    A Disk Cleanup Options popup will open
  • Click My files only
    A Drive Selection popup will open
  • Select the system drive, C:\ and click OK.
  • For a few moments the system will make some calculations
  • Ensure the boxes for Recycle Bin, Temporary Files and Temporary Internet Files are checked, you can choose to check other boxes if you wish but they are not required and click OK.
  • On the next window, click the More Options tab
  • In the System Restore and Shadow Backups window click Clean up
  • Click Delete on the pop up
  • Click OK
  • Click Delete
  • Click OK to close any windows that may be open.
    Restart the computer

Step-7.

Reset Hidden Files and Folders

For Vista and Windows 7
1. Click Start,click Control Panel.
2. Click Folder Options.... NOTE: If you are in the Category view, click Appearance, then Folder Options
3. On the Folder Options window click the View tab.
4. In the Advanced settings: box, Under Hidden files and folders, click the Do not show hidden files and folders button.
5. Click the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) box.
6. Click Apply and then OK

Step-8.

Since you stopped SpyBot from running in msconfig you will need to re-check the box there.

• Click the Start Orb and click Run
  • In the Open box type msconfig and click OK
  • Click Continue on the UAC window. The system Configuration window will open.
  • Click the StartUp tab
  • Find the SpyBot entry under the Start Up Item cloumn and click the box beside it.
  • Click Apply and if the window doesn't close click the OK button.

NEXT:

Re-Start TeaTimer

• Open SpyBot Search and Destroy by going to Start -> All Programs -> Spybot Search and Destroy -> Spybot Search and Destroy.
  • If prompted with a legal dialog, accept the warning.
  • Click Mode and then on "Advanced Mode".
    Posted Image
  • You may be presented with a warning dialog. If so, press Yes.
  • Click on Posted Image
  • Click on Posted Image
  • Check these checkboxes:
    Posted Image
  • Close/Exit Spybot Search and Destroy.

Preventing Re-Infection

Below, I have included a number of recommendations for how to protect your computer against future malware infections.

:Keep Windows Updated:-Windows Updates are constantly being revised to combat the newest hacks and threats, Microsoft releases security updates that help your computer from becoming vulnerable. It is best if you have these set to download automatically.

Vista and Windows 7 Users:
1. Click Start> All Programs, from the list find Windows Update and click it.

:Turn On Automatic Updates:

Vista and Windows 7
1. Click Start> Control Panel. Click Security. Under Windows Update, Click Turn automatic on or off.
2. On the next page, under Important Updates, Click the Drop down arrow on the right side of the box and Click Install Updates Automatically(recommended).
If you click this setting, click to select the day and time for scheduled updates to occur. You can schedule Automatic Updates for any time of day. Remember, your computer must be on at the scheduled time for updates to be installed. After you set this option, Windows recognizes when you are online and uses your Internet connection to find updates on the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site that apply to your computer. Updates are downloaded automatically in the background, and you are not notified or interrupted during this process. An icon appears in the notification area of your task bar when the updates are being downloaded. You can point to the icon to view the download status. To pause or to resume the download, right-click the icon, and then click Pause or Resume. When the download is completed, another message appears in the notification area so that you can review the updates that are scheduled for installation. If you choose not to install at that time, Windows starts the installation on your set schedule.

: Keep Java Updated :
  • Click the Start button
  • Click Control Panel
  • Double Click Java - Looks like a coffee cup. You may have to switch to Classical View on the upper left of the Control Panel to see it.
  • Click the Update tab
  • Click Update Now
  • Allow any updates to be downloaded and installed
: Keep Adobe Reader Updated :
  • Open Adobe Reader
  • Click Help on the menu at the top
  • Click Check for Updates
  • Allow any updates to be downloaded and installed
NOTE: Whether you use Adobe Reader, Acrobat or Foxit Reader to read pdf files you need to disable Javascript in the program. There is an exploit out there now that can use it to get on your PC. For Adobe Reader: Click Start, All Programs, Adobe Reader, Edit, Preferences, Click on Javascript in the left column and uncheck Enable Acrobat Javascript. Click OK Close program. It's the same for Foxit Reader except Preferences is under the Tools menu, and you uncheck Enable Javascript Actions.

:Web Browsers:

:Make your Internet Explorer more secure:
1. From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
2. Click once on the Security tab
3. Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
4. Click once on the Custom Level button.
5. Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to "Prompt"
6. Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to "Disable"
7. Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to "Disable"
8. Change the Installation of desktop items to "Prompt"
9. Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to "Prompt"
10. When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
11. If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, click the Yes button.
12. Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

:Alternate Browsers:

If you choose to use Firefox, I highly recommend these add-ons to keep your PC even more secure.
  • NoScript - for blocking ads and other potential website attacks
  • WebOfTrust - a safe surfing tool for your browser. Traffic-light rating symbols show which websites you can trust when you search, shop and surf on the Web.
  • McAfee SiteAdvisor - this tells you whether the sites you are about to visit are safe or not. A must if you do a lot of Googling

Preventative programs that will help to keep the nasties away! We will start with Anti Spyware programs. I would advise getting a couple of them at least, and running a full scan at least once a month. Run Quick Scans at least once a week. Download the Free versions. And update the definitions before running scans.

========Anti Spyware========
  • Malwarebytes-Free Version- a powerful tool to search for and eliminate malware found on your computer.
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition-another scanning tool to find and eliminate malware.
  • SpywareBlaster-to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place. A tutorial can be found here.
  • SpywareGuard-to catch and block spyware before it can execute. A tutorial can be found here.
  • WinPatrol - will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. Help file and tutorial can be found here.

It's a good idea to clear out all your temp files every now and again. This will help your computer from bogging down and slowing. It also can assist in getting rid of files that may contain malicious code that could re-infect your computer.

========TEMP File Cleaners========
  • TFC by OldTimer-A very powerful cleaning program for 32 and 64 bit OS. Note: This is the Temp file cleaner I was talking about. I run it frequently. It will clean all user temp files and browser caches
  • CleanUP-Click the Download CleanUP! link. There is also a Learn how to use CleanUP! link on this page.
:BACKUPS:
  • Keep a backup of your important files.-Now, more than ever, it's especially important to protect your digital files and memories. This article is full of good information on alternatives for home backup solutions.
  • ERUNT-(Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. ERUNT however creates a complete backup set, including the Security hive and user related sections. ERUNT is easy to use and since it creates a full backup, there are no options or choices other than to select the location of the backup files. The backup set includes a small executable that will launch the registry restore if needed.

:Keep Installed Programs Up to Date:

It is also possible for other programs on your computer to have security vulnerability that can allow malware to infect you. Therefore, it is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications that are regularly patched to fix vulnerabilities.
A couple of programs that will do this are listed below. Only download and install one of the programs and run it monthly:
Secunia Software Inspector
Filehippo Update Checker

Finally, please read How did I Get Infected in the First Place(by Mr. Tony Klein and dvk01)

I'd be grateful if you could reply to this post so that I know you have read it and, if you've no other questions, the thread can then be closed.

Let me know what you want to do about the CouponBar in the other computer.

I Will Keep This Open For 24 hours or so. If Anything Comes Up - Just Come Back And Let Me Know

Stay Safe :wave:
godawgs

Jules4me

Jules4me

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Removing Shockwave and reinstalling has not helped in IE. I am still working on just that. Give a little more time to work on this. OK?

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
:thumbsup:

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
If you are still having problems with IE and Shockwave Flash try this:

Run IE with No Add-Ons

• Click the Start button Posted Image, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

Disable the Shockwave Flash object

• Open Internet Explorer.
  • Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
  • Under Show, click All add-ons.
  • Click the add-on you want to disable, (Shockwave Flash), and then click Disable.
  • Click Close.

Download the stand alone Shockwave Flash installer:

You will need to download and install both the IE and non-IE versions of Adobe Flashplayer. Click here to go to the download page.
  • Under Step 1, click the down arrow and choose your operating system.
  • Under Step 2, and select the browser you want to install FlashPlayer for.
    You will need to download both versions of Flash player and save them to the Desktop.
  • Make sure to uncheck the install of the McAfee tool before downloading.
    Please note, depending on your settings, you may have to temporarily disable your antivirus software.
  • Close the IE browser.
Don't try to update it through the Adobe website.

Completely uninstall Flash player:

• Download the uninstaller for Flash Player
    The Flash Player uninstaller executes on both 64-bit and 32-bit version of the Windows operating systems.

Uninstaller (671 KB)

Save the file in a location where you can find it easily after you restart your computer. For example, save it on your Windows desktop.
  • Exit all browsers and other programs that use Flash
    The uninstaller does not work if any programs that use Flash are running on your computer.
  • Look at the taskbar. If the taskbar contains program icons for a browser or for a game that uses Flash, right-click each icon and choose Close. This example shows a browser in the taskbar:

Posted Image
    Right-click the program in the taskbar to close
  • Look at the icons in the system tray for programs that run in the background. Examples include AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, and games that use Flash (any file with a name that ends in .swf). If you see such an icon, right-click the icon and click Exit, as shown in this example:

Posted Image
  • Run the uninstaller
    • Double-click the icon of the uninstaller that downloaded to your computer.
    • Follow the prompts. If you see the message "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?, click Yes.
  • After the uninstaller has run, delete Flash Player files and folders.
    • Click Start, then click Run.
    • Copy and paste the following and click OK.

C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash

Posted Image

• Delete all the files in this folder.
  • Follow step 6 and step 7 for the following:
    • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
    • %appdata%\Adobe\Flash Player
    • %appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player
  • Verify that uninstall is complete

Install Flash player

Now go to the downloaded Flash installers on the desktop and install each one separately.
After runing the installers, close IE and re-open IE with no add-ons.

Re-enable the Shockwave Flash object

• Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
  • Under Show, click All add-ons.
  • Click the add-on you want to enable, (Shockwave Flash), and then click Enable.
  • Close IE and then re-open it and see it that resolved the problem.

Advertisements

Jules4me

Jules4me

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I ended up going here to use their uninstallers for both Flash and Shockwave. Then reinstalled. http://www.adobe.com...oad/alternates/

I can't say things are great, though. Chrome was loading great before and now it isn't. I'm not finished. I just wanted to check in.

Jules4me

Jules4me

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I didn't see your last post until just now and had already typed post #86. I will go back and re-do it over again using your instructions. I just don't know how much I will get done today.

Thanks.

Btw, I was just looking over your instructions and I found a site that used the exact same instructions for the complete removal of Flash. I went through it all and when I was deleting files, I did NOT have C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash at all.

It was after I tried that that I used the Adobe.com uninstallers in post #86.

UGH!!! :killcomp:

I am going to go back over your instructions and start over, since you have more steps. Cross your fingers.

(In IE, when I go to the check the status of Shockwave installation, the box does not show it installed, but I see it in the add-ons box. Can I say UGH! one more time?)

Still working. Still uninstalling, Still installing, still rebooting. We're gonna figure this out..... eventually.

Edited by Jules4me, 16 September 2012 - 03:44 PM.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
You didn't have the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash folder because your windows is the 32bit version, not the 64bit version.

Sometime Flash has a problem installing correctly until the current flash player has been completely removed.

Jules4me

Jules4me

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

You didn't have the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash folder because your windows is the 32bit version, not the 64bit version.

Oh, well duh. I was going fast and wasn't thinking rationally about it. I didn't even try to decipher it, just made a note of it and went on.

I will work on it tomorrow. I am Adobe'd out for today.

Jules4me

Jules4me

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Well, I have finished with everything. Other than certain Swagbucks pages either not loading correctly or not loading all sections of the page AND that widget page I had you go to not loading that box, I can't find another page in any browser not loading correctly. So unless you have any other tricks up your sleeve, I have done everything you have asked me to do.

Thank you again.

By the way, I finally got the other computer back to a clean Spybot scan.
:cheers:
Your help has been so very much appreciated!!