Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ATTN: godawgs - Ex-gaming laptop won't play any games [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jules4me

Jules4me

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Is there a way to repair Windows 7 Enterprise? I do have the original install disk.

There is just something not right with this computer.

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Are you talking about a repair install (saves programs and settings) or a reformat and reinstall (erases everything and formats the hard drive before installing Windows)?
Is the Windows 7 installation disk an upgrade copy of Windows 7 or is it a full retail version complete with activation key?

I thought everything was working OK if you disabled Shockwave flash in IE.

Jules4me

Jules4me

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
There is just something not right with this computer. I can't totally put my finger on it. It is so slow and like it is being bogged down, especially when opening a program (whether it is a browser or iTunes or an anti malware program). When I first push the button to start ( bring up from sleep), it takes so long to finally be ready to do anything. As I said, something is just not right. Because we have so many computers in our house, others are running Windows 7 as well, I can say with all certainty that this one is just not the same. It wasn't always like this. Something has happened over the course of time.

This disk does have the activation key, but I was thinking more in the realm of a repair install. I know some systems have some options by pushing F8 or F12 or something at startup, but I wasn't sure if the Enterprise version was the same.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Have we run chkdsk on the computer or checked the hard drive for errors? I can't remember.

This disk does have the activation key, but I was thinking more in the realm of a repair install. I know some systems have some options by pushing F8 or F12 or something at startup, but I wasn't sure if the Enterprise version was the same.

The only problem I see with that is if the problem is in a installed program or a setting or a Windows setting then a repair install wouldn't necessarily cure the problem.

A reformat of the hard drive would wipe everything from the hard drive insuring that no programs or settings remain and then install Windows.

But before you do that I suggest we check the hard drive for errors and run chkdsk if we haven't done that.

If we have already done that I would complete the clean up directions if you haven't already and then start a new topic in the Windows 7 Operating System forum and let one of the Tech staff members look at it. If they can find something in the system that is causing the slowdowns it will be a lot easier than re-installing windows then re-installing all of the updates and re-installing all of the 3rd party software programs. You will always have that as a last resort option.

Just be sure to put a link to this topic so they can see there's no malware and the other things we tried.

Jules4me

Jules4me

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
But couldn't I do the repair and then if it didn't work, do the re-install? Seems like that way if the repair works it takes out the long, long process of reinstalling everything.

We have not run chkdsk on the computer or checked the hard drive for errors. I had thought I would just do that, but I am betting you will give me more instructions than just running those like I would. So I will wait. :whistling: :lol:

I bet you are wishing we were done with the computer, huh? I know I am.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi,

But couldn't I do the repair and then if it didn't work, do the re-install? Seems like that way if the repair works it takes out the long, long process of reinstalling everything.

Sure you could. I'm just saying if the problem is in a windows setting, or a program setting, or a program that the scans haven't shown, I don't think the repair install will resolve it. But the only way to know is to do the repair install and see if that corrects it....after we try this!!

We have not run chkdsk on the computer or checked the hard drive for errors. I had thought I would just do that, but I am betting you will give me more instructions than just running those like I would. So I will wait. :whistling: :lol:

You're probably right.

I bet you are wishing we were done with the computer, huh? I know I am.

Well after we check these things I've run out of all the tricks up my sleeve. If this doesn't find anything we'll discuss options :)

Step-1.

Check Hard Disk For Errors:

Windows Vista/7

Please copy everything in the code box below into notepad. To do this highlight all text, then right click and click Copy.

@Echo Off
CLS
cmd /c chkdsk c: |find /v "percent" >> "%userprofile%\desktop\checkhd.txt"
exit

• Next, open Notepad, or click Start->Run and in the Open: box type notepad.exe and click OK.
  • Right click in the notepad window and click Paste, or put the cursor inside the notepad window and press the Ctrl-V keys to paste the text into notepad.
  • On the File menu, click Save
  • On the Save AS window that comes up, do the following:
    • On the left side, click the Desktop Icon. This will put "Desktop" in the Save In: box at the top.
    • At the bottom in the File Name: box type testhd.bat
    • In the Save as type: box, click the down arrow and click All Files(*.*)
    • Click Save
    This will put a new file on the Desktop named testhd.bat

Close all open windows and any open Browsers.
  • Right click the testhd.bat file on the desktop and click Run As Admininstrator then OK any UAC prompts to run the file. A command window will open briefly, then close. This is quite normal.
  • When the command window has closed there will be a new file on the desktop named checkhd.txt
  • Copy and paste the contents of the checkhd.txt file in your next reply.

If errors are found in the file system we will run chkdsk to try to fix them. If no errors are found we will run the system file checker.

Jules4me

Jules4me

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is OS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
332 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

2 EA records processed.

43 reparse records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
20282 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

99197395 KB total disk space.
42008612 KB in 77254 files.
57588 KB in 20283 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
418131 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
56713064 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
24799348 total allocation units on disk.
14178266 allocation units available on disk.

Edited by Jules4me, 20 September 2012 - 08:13 AM.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
The file system is OK. Let's run the system file checker and see if any files are corrupt or missing.

Step-1.

Run SFC from Safe Mode

Boot into Safe Mode

• Start, or Restart the computer and as soon as it starts booting up (you might see the Mfg. logo) start tapping the F8 key.
  • An Advanced Boot Options screen will come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.
    NOTE: If you miss the Boot menu, continue to let the machine boot up. Then restart the machine and start tapping the F8 key.
    Very Important: Never restart the computer while it is booting up. Bad things, including the computer not being able to load Windows, can occur!
  • Use the down arrow key to highlight Safe Mode and push the ENTER key.
    Windows 7
    Posted Image
  • After the system files load the Windows welcome screen will come up.
  • Click your user name and type in the password (if you have one) and click OK or press Enter. The Safe Mode desktop will come up.

Rename the old SFC log

Open an elevated command prompt. To do that:
  • Click the Start Orb and in the Search box type cmd.exe.
  • In the list of files that comes up above the Search box find the cmd.exe file, right click it and click Run as Administrator
  • Click Continue on the UAC window.
    A command window will open like the image below:
    Posted Image
  • Type the following and press ENTER after each line
  • cd C:\windows\Logs\cbs
  • copy cbs.log cbs.old
  • del cbs.log
  • cd C:\Windows\System32

Now run System File Checker

The System File Checker scans all protected system files and can replace incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. This process will take some time.

• At the blinking cursor type or Copy and Paste the following and press the Enter key:
    • sfc /verifyonly
    (notice the space between the c and the /...it needs to be there)
    Posted Image
    Scans and only verifies the integrity of all protected system files only. (See screenshot above)
    NOTE: If it finds anything like in the screenshot above boxed in red I want to see the sfcdetails.txt file.
    If it doesn't find anything skip #2 and complete #'s 3 and 4.
  • At the blinking cursor type or Copy and Paste the following command and then press ENTER:
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
    A file named sfcdetails.txt will now be on the desktop. Copy and Paste the contents of this file in your next reply.
  • When the process has finished, write down the results of the scan so you can post them in your next reply.
  • Type exit and press the ENTER key to close the command window.

Step-2.

Things For Your Next Post:
1. The sfcdetails.txt log if SFC found anything. Otherwise just tell me it didn't find anything.

Jules4me

Jules4me

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Have you re-enabled Spybot on this computer? And if you did, did things get worse or stay the same?

Advertisements

Jules4me

Jules4me

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Yes, I have already enabled Spybot and it is possible that it is worse with it enabled.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hello,

OK. I asked because of the entries that Spybot puts in the HOSTS file. We talked about this when we worked on the first computer and you asked me what all of the entries were..

The Hosts File entries you asked about are malicious web sites that have been added to your hosts file. They are not active in the sense that they are sites your computer has visited. This was done by the SpyBot S&D program. Because each entry begins with 127.0.0.1, if you are ever directed to one of the sites, or click on a link that redirects you to one of these sites, your computer will check it's hosts file first and display a blank page or an about:blank page ect;. This keeps you from accidentally being redirected to one of these malicious sites. I know it looks bad when you see some of the sites that are listed but it's actually a good thing. Every time you update the SpyBot program it adds any new sites that the program developers have found since the last update. I hope that made sense.

I suspect that this is part of the problem. The URL addresses of the links that won't load in a browser page are probably somewhere in that HOSTS file that is some 1600 lines in size in the first computer and this one too. You can disable the Resident SD Helper in Spybot and see if that helps. You can also reverse the Immunize process and see how much that helps.

If part or all of the problem remains it's probably the list of questionable URL addresses that IE stores. I don't use IE so I'll have to ask around to find out where the list is stored.

If you know the URL address of the part of the page that won't load (you can find it by hovering your mouse over the blank spot and in the bottom left hand corner of the IE browser, or along that bar somewhere you should see the URL address of that link pop up), you can manually enter it in the Trusted Sites of the Internet Zone and see if that will load the link. If it doesn't work you will need to go to the list of sites that IE stores and see if the URL is in the list and change it from Deny to Allow, or maybe you can just delete it.

To do the things in SpyBot:

• Run Spybot S&D
  • Go to the Mode menu, and make sure Advanced Mode is selected.
    Posted Image
  • You may be presented with a warning dialog. If so, press Yes.
  • Click on Posted Image
  • Click on Posted Image
  • Uncheck the box beside Resident SD Helper
  • Next, look on the vertical Menu on the left and click the + beside SpyBot S&D
  • Click Immunize. You will see a page like the one shown below:
    Posted Image
  • Click on Undo at the top of the page.
  • At the bottom of the window, under Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer, Uncheck the box beside Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer.
  • Close Spybot S&D and Restart your computer.
Note: If TeaTimer gives you a warning afterwards that some changes were made, allow this instead of blocking it.

Open your browsers and see if this made any difference.

Jules4me

Jules4me

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I have done this today. Give me a day or so to take more time to browse the internet to see what happens. I don't much time today to sit and play. Thank you for helping out.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
:thumbsup:

Jules4me

Jules4me

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
My husband has taken over this computer and for what he does, he is not having any problems. It is only the special stuff I do. As far as I am concerned, you can close this thread. Thank you so much for all your help. It has been so appreciated. :)