Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Boot Manager

• Please log in to reply

butterrice

butterrice

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
I have a HP MINI 110 that I bought used. When I first got it, there was some trouble at start up but I was able to hit F8 and reinstall the OS. it has Windows 7 starter. Everything seemed smooth until today. It become oddly sluggish. So I shut it down. Now I can't do anything but hit F2 and run some tests, but nothing to recover or reinstall. I ran the Start Up Test, Run In Test, and Hard Disk Test all 3 failed the Short DST. I have the product ID and it said Hard Disk 1.

So I hit ESC to get into BIOS, the primary Hard Drive and Memory say "OK". I keep restarting trying to hit F10, F11 but all I get is this message:
Windows Boot Manager
Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.
This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.
If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.
File: \Boot\BCD
Info: an unexpected I/O error has occured.

I don't have anything connected to this netbook but a power cord. There are no disks for boot up. Windows 7 starter came with the netbook built in.

I hope this was the correct forum, I wasn't sure if it was OS issue or hardware issue. Thank you in advance!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
"I ran the Start Up Test, Run In Test, and Hard Disk Test all 3 failed the Short DST."

You need to replace the hard drive. Not sure how you will then install the operating system, but usually it's done from a USB flash drive setup with Windows 7.

I can provide instructions on how to do this if needed, including where to download a copy of Windows 7, how to setup a flash drive to use for install and how to get it to allow you to chose Windows 7 Starter Edition during install.

Let me know what you need.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
I was afraid of this. I'm pricing them now. Please keep this topic open as I will need your help with OS. Thank you!

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Okay - I bought a Seagate Momentus Laptop Internal Drive, 320SATA GB, 8MB Cache, and 5400rpm. The sales rep said this is what I need, but on the box it says Internal Storage for your laptop. Before I install this - is this what I need?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would have gone for a 7200RPM drive, but that should be the equivalent to what you had previously, though it was probably a 160GB drive. Should work as long as it uses a SATA drive, which I can't determine from the [product specifications.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation DVD, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here: Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO from Digital River.
Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

You can now use the downloaded .iso file to create a bootable flash drive using Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3.

Simply start it, select Windows 7 from the drop down menu, point to the downloaded .iso and your flash drive, and your off.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Ok. I have to get the drive in the netbook first. It says to make sure that the drive is "grounded" to avoid static. As this is my first install, what exactly could I use to "ground" or avoid static? Is there a good site I could go to?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Just touch bare metal before removing the old drive and installing the new one. The reason is to remove any built up static. The likelihood of doing any damage if you don't ground yourself is remote.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Thank you for keeping this open. I have replaced the drive and moving on to a legal copy of Windows 7. I will post when finished. I have to use the Laptop, that I'm fixing too! Two projects at once!

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Okay - Now for the netbook. I have the new hard drive in. However, I need a new operating system. I saw online I can use linux or Joli OS for free. What are you're thoughts on this? I was thinking of trying it out until I can afford Windows. I'm told by Best Buy I have to buy a Windows Rebuild since I can't access my old OS from the old Hard Drive. That will be money I don't have. My question is - how do I get the OS from this laptop to my Netbook? I did buy an external drive for the netbook. Thanks for keeping this open and for your patience! I realize it's the holidays so I don't expect a reply anytime soon. Happy Holidays!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You might want to seriously consider Windows 8 rather than Windows 7. You can buy the upgrade version for $40 (download). I know the Metro/Modern desktop is vry different but you can set it up to look and feel like Windows 7 with a few add-ons.

See here for info: How to Do a Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade

You want the "Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant" path.

Read through it then come back with any questions.

If you want to go with Windows 7 then get a OEM System Builder version, usually around $100.

As for Linux, sure, why not try it. There are lots of versions. Linux Mint is popular as are Ubuntu and Slacko Puppy.

Advertisements

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
I have a new hard drive on it though. How do I upgrade without an original OS? And if I go with Linux, how do I put it on my Mini? Can I download on a CD-R and then put it on my mini? Or download to a flashdrive?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Follow the directions in the link I gave you.

You can use Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 to create a bootable flash drive to install Linux or Windows (Vista, 7 or 8) from. All you need is the iso file for a Linux distribution or Windows 7 or 8.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Ok. I was able to install a copy of Windows Vista. But now I can't seem to connect to my wireless router. I could connect before the system went down. It says there is something wrong with the driver, but I can't update because I can't get online. is this because I replaced the hard drive and now I have to build it again?

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
It would seem my version of the HP Mini 110 only came with XP and 7, so when I try to replace the Network adapter Vista is not supported. Any suggestions?

corrosive23

corrosive23

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The resolution of the HP mini 110 is 1024x600. Windows 8 metro apps will not run on that resolution. They require 1024x768 minimum. So windows 7 is the best option for him.

You might want to seriously consider Windows 8 rather than Windows 7. You can buy the upgrade version for $40 (download). I know the Metro/Modern desktop is vry different but you can set it up to look and feel like Windows 7 with a few add-ons.

See here for info: How to Do a Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade

You want the "Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant" path.

Read through it then come back with any questions.

If you want to go with Windows 7 then get a OEM System Builder version, usually around $100.

As for Linux, sure, why not try it. There are lots of versions. Linux Mint is popular as are Ubuntu and Slacko Puppy.