Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The old skipping problem [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello Barbara,

This is getting silly, there are more problems on this laptop now than ever there was and I can hardly type anything as the text on screen just won't keep up with me .........

Fair enough. I think the reason OTL won't work and we had problems getting the online AV to work are related to Malwarebytes. It is a great program but it does interfere with our tools... it is trying to protect your machine.

Normally we would ask you to uninstall it then carry out the actions sought before reinstalling it.

Having said that, I don't see malware on your machine and as you say, we are not really fixing your problem. The bits and peices that OTL script was going to clear are just left overs after the AVG uninistall. They leave a mess behind them. Just orphans though that won't effect your machine.

I think we should move on from the malware possibility.

Turning to your typing problem, after a bit of research, I found that a lot of people with laptops have the same similar problems to you. One which is not quite the same but was typical of the sort of thing was this:

"The Dell Studio XPS laptop series (both 13 and 15.5" variety) seem to have the UP arrow immediately to the right of a shortened Shift key. I'm an excellent "touch typist" on a standard keyboard, but have had a similar problem with most smaller laptops, where the "unpredictable" upward cursor movement happens (for me at least) when I try to hit the right shift key, but really hit the UP arrow. My best guess is that's what's causing your jumping cursor."

Not quite your one but close. I am wondering if the small keyboard is the problem. It certainly was for me. I touch type and when I still worked used a laptop but found I had problems with accuracy. My solution was to use a normal keyboard attached to the laptop via the USB port. Worked for me.

I don't think there is anything specifically wrong with your machine but if you wanted to investigate further you could try Dell Support.

Now

We have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set.Posted Image

• Double-click OTL.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTL.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

Folders/Files left on your desktop after running CleanUp can be deleted.

Go here for some good advice about how to prevent infection.

Have a safe and happy computing day!

Advertisements

BBarb

BBarb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
OK lets give it another go. I've just had to literally fish this computer out of the bin. My husband tried to use it whilst I was at work and got so frustrated he binned it - really he threw it in the dustbin. Luckily it still works but its taken me 7 mins to get this page to open and several attempts by Windows to work out why Geetstogo was not responding. If this doesn't work I think I shall do a system restore to before I first contacted Geeks - you have to admid things havew gone from bad to worse since I used all those anti malware programmes.
Husband blames me and is of the opinion I am infecting the system.

Will run OTL again and send report.

BBarb

BBarb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Of course there isn't a report after cleaning up they system, I was a somewhat upset last night after a bit of a row with the other half over the computer in the bin (he's funny about the computer in that he started to learn to use it but got impatient and gave up) he'd wanted to find out something about his cell phone apparantly. This IS an old computer after all (its an inspiron 9200) but the arrow key is not next to the R shift key. Thank you for trying to help.
I have run system restore and IE only took just under 3 mins to load this morning - whether this was a one off or not remains to be seen, and I will investigate elsewhere for a solution to the typing problem. You've been very patient which is appreciated.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

You've been very patient which is appreciated.

Thank you Barbara, I hope the computer works well for a long time. :thumbsup:

All the best to you both. :)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.