Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue/Red Lines, Messed up Characters, Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

howtheflip

howtheflip

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hello all,

This is my first post and first attempt at explaining one of my computer issues on the internet, and this website seemed fairly popular, so I decided to try it. Please bare with me as I try to explain the situation fully and any details I think may be important:

So, I just moved recently (yesterday) and so I packed up all my computer items and moved them to the new house. When I setup the computer and turned it on, several odd things occurred. First, the computer wouldn't power on. I decided to open up the computer to see what was wrong. While I was moving the power supply, a green light on the motherboard turned on, so I assumed it was now working. So I hit the power button and the computer powered on. At this point, however the monitor showed odd vertical lines across the whole screen for the first windows screen. The computer continued to a screen saying how windows failed to start successfully. At this screen, all of the characters looked odd. For example, all of the "s"s looked like "x"s and "e"s just look like random dots. There was a weird flickering of white dots across the whole screen. The countdown reached 0, and the computer just restarted. It did this a few times, so I just shut it off. During this time, the keyboard also did not work so I could not choose to start up or go into safe mode, etc.

The next time I turned the computer on, the same issue occurred, except this time the computer actually booted. Although it booted, there were still blue and red lines across the whole screen, so I turned the system off. At this point, when I turn the system on, it gets to the error screen and then when the countdown reaches 0, it just sits at that screen.

I've read that errors such as these two are usually linked to the video card going bad, which is why the picture is so odd, or the hard drive going back, which is why it won't boot. So, can anyone help me confirm/deny that is one/both of these?

Now, I had a file on my computer containing all of the specs, but since I cannot access it, I will do my best to remember what I can to try to help:

It is a small form factor HP desktop, I forget exactly what model number however.
It has a Hitachi Deskstar 80GB hard drive, 7200 rpm SATA 3 gb/s
It has a 240 watt HP power supply
It currently has about 3 gb of ram installed, 2 dual channel and 1 single channel.
I am using a vga to vga wire to my asus monitor (by the way, I also tried hooking the computer up to another asus monitor with no success)
I forget the video card. From what I recall, I believe it was a Nvidia family something or another, sorry I can't be more specific.

Any advice would be helpful, and thanks for your time.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
It really sounds like something came lose during the move. Open it up again, with power off and power cord disconnected, and check everything that's plugable, memory, video card, hard drive cables (both ends), power connectors, all connectors from the power supply. Remove and reinstall everything, carefully, one at a time.

Connect the power cord and try power again, see what happens.

If no help, need the model number to look at the online specs.

howtheflip

howtheflip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Okay, so I tried to open the machine again. This time, I quickly noticed that a wire labeled "P5" was not connected to anything. I'm not sure if this needs to be plugged in because I tried reading in to it and it seems to be hard drive wire? But the P4 wire is already connected to my hard drive, and the one open slot on the hard drive left does not seem to having matching prongs to the wire. I could not find anywhere else to plug it in, so I just tried to make sure all the other wires were connected. I tried to run the computer again, and many of the symptoms were exactly the same, with the exception of the characters being almost completely better. If anyone has any other suggestions or insights, please let me know.

Edited by howtheflip, 05 September 2012 - 02:43 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What about RAM (memory)? All the other cables? Check them all by removing then reconnecting them.,

howtheflip

howtheflip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Okay, so after disconnecting it and restarting it a few times, I finally got everything set up to go. For some reason, none of the back USBs are working right now, and when I tried to put the case back on, the problems started again, so for now i'm just gonna leave it off. Thanks for the help, even though I still didn't know exactly what the problem was for future reference xP