Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc stuck on logo screen

• Please log in to reply

meanddog

meanddog

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi, my philips dual core sata pc is stuck on logo screen, i have took out cards and disconected everthing not needed for start up. ive took out comos battery and replaced it, removed ram and put in known working ram from my other pc, the pc just sits on logo screen theres no response to f12 key or delete or anything just sitting on the logo screen, its runing xp pro, ive replaced hdd with a known working one, can anyone help please as this is a great little pc (when working that is). hope someone can help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: meanddog

Sorry to hear that you are having computer issues.

Have you tried tapping the Tab key when you boot up.

A couple of questions if I may;

What is the model name or number of the computer.

You have said that the HDD has been replaced, was this due to the issue that you are having now being present with the previous HDD.

Where did the replacement HDD come from and how was XP Pro installed on it, on another computer for example.

What you are describing may be a bad BIOS setting or BIOS chip.

meanddog

meanddog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hi, thanks for replying, it a philips freevents mt1800 pc, intel core 2 duo e 6300, the hdd was new as i thought this was the problem, ive disconected everything thats not needed, hdd is working great on other pc and ive tried same spec ram from my other pc to make sure they wer'nt the problem, if it is a bios problem is there anything i can do or just give, once again thanks,

meanddog

meanddog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
forgot to say, tab key does nothing, i tried new hdd with no luck then put in my other pc and installed xp pro with no probs and then formated and tryed again in the philips and still no luck. than ks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the additional information, I will now look for information on the motherboard.

As the problem was present I do feel it is a BIOS issue, was it a new CMOS battery that you tried.
Also when you wish to clear the CMOS keep in mind that some MBs behave differently and what works with one MB may not work with another, please see the attachment below;

Back shortly.

Is the MB at the link the same as yours http://www.ecs.com.t...enuID=1&LanID=0

Can I ask whether any attempt had been made to overclock or flash the BIOS previous to this issue happening, are you using the SATA or IDE type of HDD, thanks.

Edited by phillpower2, 04 September 2012 - 09:40 AM.
Link added

meanddog

meanddog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hello. im using sata hdd, its the bottom bios battery in my motherboard, the upright one, it was a new one and yes that looks like my motherboard, thanks very much for you help so far...

meanddog

meanddog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hi, ive never overclocked or flashed th bios, thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Okay thanks :thumbsup:

As I said earlier not all MBs behave the same but one thing that you must do when trying to clear the CMOS is remove all power sources to the MB, with this in mind if you have not done so already can you disconnect all cables to the MB, remove the CMOS battery and then press the power on button on your case for a while as this will dispel any charge that may still be present in the circuits, leave the CMOS battery out for around 30 minutes or so and then replace it, try another CMOS battery if you can as it is not unknown for replacements to be bad, once the above has been done reassemble the computer and see if there is any change, let us know the outcome please.

And you are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

meanddog

meanddog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hello,your were right :thumbsup: it was the cmos battery after the 2nd new battery away it went, i can't thank you enough as this is a great little pc and has served me well, once again thank you, all the best.A1+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Glad I could be of help and that the issue appears resolved and thank you for the follow up as your update may help others in the future :thumbsup: