Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Underclocking Pentium 4 CPU

• Please log in to reply

cmtr2000

cmtr2000

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was stupid and got a notebook with a Pentium 4 3.2 GHz. I love its capabilites, but it eats up my battery hardcore. Would it do me any good/is it possible to underclock my processor to centrino-like speeds when i need my battery to last-such as when i am doing work on a flight.

Futhermore, i cant for the life of me figure out what kind of motherboard i have--assistance on that please.

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Go to your control panel and click on "Power Options"

Maybe set it to "MAX BATTERY"

Dont know if you can underclock it or not.

What model lapper is it?

cmtr2000

cmtr2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Do you see an option on startup to enter setup?  It should be something along the lines of pressing F1 or Delete key.  This will get you into the BIOS, from there you need to find the FSB setting, and then just lower it, this is the easiest way to do it, you will also in effect be lowering your memory speeds and video speeds as well, but it is probably no big deal on a laptop.

View Post

Does anyone know what value to set the FSB to? I want a setting that keeps my battery life high and not lowering my video and memory speeds.

I have a HP Pavilion zx5280us. What kind of motherboard do i have-it doesnt specifically say in Device Manager-so someone help me out. I need to know the brand and model so i can get a motherboard/cpu monitor.

Edited by cmtr2000, 05 June 2005 - 01:14 PM.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
go to majorgeeks.com
download speedswitch XP you can change settings of processor and ram to get max battery time. i slowed my celeron 2.8ghz to about 1.3 ghz and my ram only used one of the 2 sticks. This more then doubled my battery life. I will take no responsibility to any damage you do as you have to be technically advanced to be able to this. You really need to know compter stuff to do this.