Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 E machines notepad 355 start up issue

• Please log in to reply

woofbark

woofbark

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there,

Im new to this so bare with me.

I am having a problem with 0xc00000e9 error message / problem with a recently installed removable media i/o device etc etc, when I switch it on it says "there was a problem starting your pc, and gives me 3 options" - there has been nothing recently installed, it just appeared one day when I switched it on.

The 3 options are:

• Safe Mode
  • Safe Mode with networking
  • Start Windows Normally

No matter which option i use the grey progress bar at the bottom goes across once then hangs, and goes back to the above error message 0xc00000e9.

I dont have any recovery disks and I have been trying to find some kind of iso file that can either overwrite windows or fix the start up issue.

The problem im having is that its on a notepad without a dvd/cd drive! :help:

The make and model is an emachines e55 running windows 7 starter

It has 1 gb DDR3 memory
250 GB hard drive

Im hoping someone can help me!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go

It is always a little difficult without an optical drive.

Try as soon as the post screen appears tapping the F8 key and tell me if you get a screen that includes Repair your computer
If so select that and then tell me what the options are.

woofbark

woofbark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello mac,

No, its not giving me that option just the 3 I mentioned

Safe Mode
Safe Mode With Networking Support
Start Windows Normally

I hope this helps

Keith

woofbark

woofbark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry mac,

No, when I tap f8 i get two options

Launch Start up repair (recommended)
Start Windows Normally

But no matter which one I choose it goes back to the error message I mentioned previously (0xc00000e9)

Thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Is there anything connected to the computer

woofbark

woofbark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi mac,

No, nothing at all (except the power supply)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
See if you can get to BIOS that is normally F2 or Delete on first post
It may well say to enter setup press

keep tapping that key
If you miss it the first time reboot., you only have a split second or so

and although there is nothing connected now - what if anything was - a flash pen etc

woofbark

woofbark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, I can get to bios, then it gives me a grey screen with blue writing with lots of options to change boot order, clock time etc

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Is the hard drive seen not in boot priority but on the page that shows you the drive.
I do not know the BIOS screens on that computer.
The selection will be across the top of the page

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
woofbark

Please update your topic

How did you progress

woofbark

woofbark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry Mac,

Ive been away on holiday, sorry.

Yes, I can get to the boot order in bios, and under 1 is hitatchihdd with a model number
under 2 says hdd
under 4 it says atheros network boot agent

thats about it

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When on THAT computer you press F8 it allows you to access repair your computer and then from the choices startup repair etc and one would be the cmd prompt from a partition of the HDD loaded when the computer was manufactured

The problem of course is that as the error code indicates that Windows cannot communicate with a device - undoubtedly in your case the HDD, that is why when you select start up repair - you are taken back to the error.

I fully appreciate that it does not help you now, but that is the weakpoint of all computers that are provided with only the recovery systems on the same HDD as the operating system and of course your personal data

That is why on all such computers and especially those notebooks etc provided without an optical drive the user guide stresses the importance of creating recovery discs etc. and usually in my experience to the extent of recomending that an external CD/DVD is connected

However to return to the problem. It would be far easier if you could connect an external CD drive, hopefully it will be recognised at boot

Do you have the user guide?

GryphonGuy

GryphonGuy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Just for fun, switch that second "hdd" to the top position. See what happens. It might be a recovery sector, or something else interesting. If nothing happens, it's easy enough to reverse the process.

Without an external CD drive, it is still possible to use a LiveUSB stick. There are many guides about how to make them online, you just need a USB flash drive and someone else's Windows 7 computer. E-Machines should be able to help you out with recovery media, too, probably for a fee.