Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard malfunction: letter 'p'

• Please log in to reply

gee3sigh

gee3sigh

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi

during start up, laptop automatically types many letter 'p' at the password section then i will type the correct password and sign in successfully but when typing again, 'p' is not working, other keys are fine.

what seems to be the problem? first, it was left arrow key that malfunctions that when i am typing in word or notepad, it is like always pressing left arrow key and cursor goes to first character.

but now it is the letter 'p' i have to use on-screen keyboard to type letter p. please help. i am using laptop acer 4741G 64bit windows 7.

thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go
Has anything been spilt on the keyboard

gee3sigh

gee3sigh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thank you for immediate response.

i believe none has been spilt because i usually put cover on top of the whole keys to keep it protected from dirt and liquid.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Boot to Safe mode on F8 try that
How is it then please

If that is no good

Go start right click computer click properties , then on left pane click device manager, are there any warnings please against any devices.

gee3sigh

gee3sigh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i tried the safe mode but as soon as it was loaded, on the support page saying that i was in safe mode, a lot of 'p' characters were automatically displayed in the text box.

also on the desktop, mouse focus went from one desktop icon to another, switching focus between two icons that only stopped when i pressed the arrow key.

and again, 'p' was not working but other keys were okay.

thanks again for trying to help me.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

If that is no good

Go start right click computer click properties , then on left pane click device manager, are there any warnings please against any devices.

If you cannot get there you are going to have to connect an external keyboard

gee3sigh

gee3sigh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i can see no warning sign in the device manager. is not there another way to fix the problem? but if not, i guess i have to use external keyboard all the time.

thank you very much for your time and help.. i'll often check the forum to learn more and share if i know of something useful.

God bless!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
So now you have an external keyboard connected
Is that now working OK

we are trying to estblish if it is a keypad fault or another issue.
The external keyboard, will test this better than using the on screen keyboard

Go here

http://support.acer....ault.aspx?tab=1

select the correct operating system.
If you are unsure of any specification use hardware vendor detection
Download and install the latest offered touchpad driver
Reboot and test

gee3sigh

gee3sigh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes i have external keyboard connected now and it is working. i think it is better than using onscreen keyboard because when i use onscreen keyboard and i also have other applications open, system slows down, i think it gets out of memory.

i have downloaded the latest touchpad driver and have rebooted. sometimes 'p' key works but after a second or two a lot of 'p' is displayed. also after the windows is loaded, focus goes to the lowermost icon on the desktop even if i click another icon it returns the focus to the other icon. it is like the arrow key is being pressed.

thanks again for trying to help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
In view of that I am reasonably convinced it is the keypad of the laptop

Worthy of a try is a can of compressed air spray, used to spray underneath eg along the edges of the keys and a fine soft brush to remove any debris that is apparent.

Obviously with the laptop turned off and the battery disconnected

gee3sigh

gee3sigh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thank you very much! okay i will try that..

God bless