I've been having trouble with my internet connection at work ever since my computer was formatted and everything got reinstalled.
I consider myself to be an advanced user, but I have tried everything I can think of and it is driving me crazy.
What happens is that some websites have very slow response when I click on something after having loaded their homepage. (That is, when I first type in a URL, the page loads ok and takes a normal amount of time to do so, but when I click on something inside this webpage it may take ages to load). Sometimes it loads and sometimes I get browser errors like "Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE)".
I find myself having to do a lot of reload and F5 and clicking like a maniac on links that didn't work first off.
Most typical problem I am facing (and I know this is not great for productivity) is with Facebook. When I first type in the url, the home page loads almost immediately, but when I click on the messages or notifications icon, for example, the menu opens but shows no content but the three loading bars , and they blink there for 20 to 30 seconds until I get the content. The same thing happens with pretty much any Facebook menu that loads through the icon which I am starting to hate.
Twitter does the same kind of thing, I load the feed in seconds, but when I click on a tweet to see the details (or conversation) it starts this loading thing that goes on for a long time.
It is not so obvious on other websites but it is very glitchy on totally unrelated websites as well. Sometimes it stops loading half way, or some images are missing, sometimes it loads the content with no formatting...
I am using Chrome (21.0.1180.89 m) although I tried IE and it is as intermittently glitchy as Chrome.
The machine is running Windows XP Professional SP3.
I am on a very small and uncomplicated business network. We have a regular DSL modem from the phone company, that goes to an ethernet hub where all computers in the office come, including the server. I am talking a total of 8 computers, plus the server.
We use an outsourced IT service and they claim there is nothing wrong with my computer or my settings but I know I am not crazy.
They have the DSL modem set up to be the default gateway, but it is the server who does the DHCP (this setting is disabled on the modem), this server is also the default DNS server, but I have tried using OpenDNS and Google DNS and I get the same results.
All other settings seem default to me. I have tried playing with DNS settings and default gateway metrics but nothing does it.
We use "Trend Micro Security Agent" which I am very suspicious about. It runs very slow and has always meant trouble. The problem is that it is setup with a password, and even though I am an administrator user on my computer, I am not able to disable Trend Micro and see if the problem is related.
I should add that all other computers in the network are running the same Security Software and the same settings and nobody else seems to have this problem.
I'm completely puzzled, I hope someone can come up with an idea.
Thanks for your help!
(I thought I'd go ahead and include my HijackThis log as well...)
Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 September 2012 - 02:53 PM.
HiJack deleted not used in this forum