Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow speeds on 300Mbps

• Please log in to reply

Phenoxy

Phenoxy

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Dear Geeks2Go

I have acquired a fibre broadband connection, approximately providing me with a 150Mbps connection.
As I like to keep things wireless, I bought a router that would keep up with aforementioned speeds, thus leading me to purchase a router of the 300Mbps range.
Links to my respective specs are linked in appendix below

The problem:
I get speeds, 15Mbps at best, when testing from same source that got me 150Mbps ethernet connected.
My signal strength is 3/5 even though I am located VERY closely to the router.
My router supports N adapters.

How can I optimize my speed?

Router
http://www.tp-link.c...odel=TL-WR941ND

Network Adapter
http://www.tp-link.c...model=TL-WN951N

Every model is of the newest firmware and driverupdate.
Router is set to automatic settings.

Edited by Phenoxy, 06 September 2012 - 04:55 AM.

Advertisements

Phenoxy

Phenoxy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Do you still run your "no-answer by a certain date" policy?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you have a 150Mbps internet connection you are not doing yourself any favours by using that router - it has 10/100Mbps WAN PORT. This means your potential internet speed has already been cut by a third. To resolve this you would need a router with a gigabit WAN port. I don't understand how you can be getting 150Mbps with an ethernet cable when this is greater than the physical ports can allow.

As for the wireless, 3/5 when you are very close indicates something is wrong. Is there a clear line of sight between the router and the wireless network adapter aerials? Or is there doors/walls/etc in the way? Also 3/5 would simply be indicating the signal strength, but what actual speed is the wireless connecting at? Is it connecting at N speeds or is it (for some reason) connecting at G speeds?

Also how are you performing the speed testing?

Troy

(p.s. yes if you look on the front page you will see the Waiting Room forum, 3-days with no reply and you can request assistance there.)

Phenoxy

Phenoxy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

If you have a 150Mbps internet connection you are not doing yourself any favours by using that router - it has 10/100Mbps WAN PORT. This means your potential internet speed has already been cut by a third. To resolve this you would need a router with a gigabit WAN port. I don't understand how you can be getting 150Mbps with an ethernet cable when this is greater than the physical ports can allow.

As for the wireless, 3/5 when you are very close indicates something is wrong. Is there a clear line of sight between the router and the wireless network adapter aerials? Or is there doors/walls/etc in the way? Also 3/5 would simply be indicating the signal strength, but what actual speed is the wireless connecting at? Is it connecting at N speeds or is it (for some reason) connecting at G speeds?

Also how are you performing the speed testing?

Troy

(p.s. yes if you look on the front page you will see the Waiting Room forum, 3-days with no reply and you can request assistance there.)

Fair point, speedtest.net shows around 120-130, not 150, ethernet connected but still nowhere near the 15-20mbps I get from wireless.

My signal strength might be a product of a wooden wall, but nothing that I haven't gotten 5/5 from before in similar situations. Hopefully it should connect with N speeds as both adapter & router is N enabled, but I do not know how to check so.

Could you suggest a router that would fit my needs?

Thank you for the answer.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Can you get me a screenshot of your speedtest.net results? You can choose to link it. For example, here's mine:

Posted Image

Phenoxy

Phenoxy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ethernet connected through router: (A little faster bypassing the router)
Posted Image
Wirelessly connected:
Posted Image

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Wow that's incredible speed. It seems to me two things:

1) Updating to a router which has a gigabit WAN port may see some improvement for the wired connection.

2) Your wireless connection does not seem to be connecting at native N speeds at all. Does the connection show what speed it is connecting at? To check you might need to login to the router and see if N mode is enabled for the wireless settings. Then let me know what OS you are running to check what connection speed it's at.

Troy

Phenoxy

Phenoxy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thank you for the comment on my speeds, it warms my heart :3

In my 192.168.1.1 it shows:

Wireless
Channel: Auto (Current channel 9)
Mode: 11bgn mixed
Channel Width: Automatic
Max Tx Rate: 300Mbps
WDS Status: Disable

I run Windows 7 64-bit.

Phenoxy

Phenoxy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Thank you for the comment on my speeds, it warms my heart :3

In my 192.168.1.1 it shows:

Wireless
Channel: Auto (Current channel 9)
Mode: 11bgn mixed
Channel Width: Automatic
Max Tx Rate: 300Mbps
WDS Status: Disable

I run Windows 7 64-bit.

Mode: 11bgn mixed set to 11n only still produces slow speeds.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Mode: 11bgn mixed set to 11n only still produces slow speeds.

That would have been my next suggestion... So that's a bit interesting somewhere along the line. My next train of thought would be to contact TP-Link support (seeing as you have both router and adapter by the same company) and see if they have any suggestions on the issue.

Phenoxy

Phenoxy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thank you so much for your time and effort, it is much appreciated. I will contact TP Link support regarding the matter and, if you're interested, summarize the concluded progress in the thread.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah I am interested in what they say... Do post results if you are able.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If you run a mixed mode wireless network e.g. 802.11g + 802.11n, you will be capped at ~25Mps. If you need to support both on your network, a dual-band router may be in order. Also, your security settings affect connection speeds. Connect at WPA2 for maximum speeds. Finally 300Mps is theoretical output at maximum signal. In real-world practice expect half or less.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Can you get me a screenshot of your speedtest.net results? You can choose to link it. For example, here's mine:

Posted Image

Ethernet connected through router: (A little faster bypassing the router)
Posted Image
Wirelessly connected:
Posted Image

Wow...your Internet speeds are just...INCREDIBLE!
Even though Troy only has a C+ rating, with a little above the average I guess?? (58% better than others, it seems)

I will never post my speedtest.net results!
Our Internet speed here in the Philippines is embarrassing! :lol: