Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Several Viruses are attacking my computer. [Closed]

• Please log in to reply

MNISather

MNISather

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
By the way, I dont know if you know anything about minecraft or if this has anything to do with it, but the servers i click on have MASSIVE ping. At least 1000ms. Or the server just says "Cannot resolve host name." people have said its due to a firewall problem. and after this fix it still says this.

Advertisements

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
Hi again,
I am so glad that the firewall has decided to cooperate. Me a wizard? Nah, the guy who made that neat little program is more of a wizard then I :)
I don't have much time these days to play games like minecraft :(
I did do a little research on that ping issue, and it could be a problem with version 1.3.1 - but I really did not spend too much time looking around at that issue.
I also read of an issue that the part of the game that measures the ping might be adding an extra second to the results that you see
You might get the attention of someone that is more of a gamer than I, in this sub forum here. I don't even have the game, and don't really know much about it, sorry.

Now for your malware issue, I would now like to sweep for any remnants that might want to re-infect your machine:

Step 1
Posted Image Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here.

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Step 2
Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this Scan.

Vista / 7 users: You will need to to right-click on the either the IE or FF icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.

Please go here then click on: Posted Image
You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.

If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.
All of the following instructions work with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.
  • Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on: Posted Image
  • When prompted allow Add-On/Active X to install.
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked.
  • Make sure that the option Scan archives is checked.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Now click on: Posted Image
  • The virus signature database will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically. The scan may take several hours.
  • Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
  • When completed select Uninstall application on close, make sure you copy the logfile first!
  • Now click on: Posted Image
  • Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files (x86)/ESET/ESET Online Scanner\log.txt
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.
Note: Do not forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus application after running the above scan!

MNISather

MNISather

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
here is the Mbam:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.65.0.1400
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.10.11.14

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Sather :: SATHER-PC [administrator]

10/11/2012 4:11:04 PM
mbam-log-2012-10-11 (16-11-04).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 229635
Time elapsed: 1 minute(s),

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 1
C:\Users\Sather\Downloads\installer_oovoo.exe (PUP.BundleInstaller.PHP) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

And here is the scan:

ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:
OnlineScanner64.ocx - registred OK
OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK
esets_scanner_update returned -1 esets_gle=53251

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
Are you sure that's all there was to the ESET scan?

MNISather

MNISather

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
That is all that the log.txt says

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
It looks to me that we have removed all the bad stuff so --
Subject to no further problems :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [resethosts]
    [emptytemp]
    [Reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself.

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Go to control panel
  • Select folder options (Appearance > Folder options in category view)
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

Posted Image
Please see this article about a serious exploit in Java. It would be wise to follow those instructions, until Java is updated, probably in the middle of the October.
Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application.

Upgrading Java:
  • Go to this site and click Do I have Java
  • It will check your current version and then offer to update to the latest version

SPRING CLEAN

To manually create a new Restore Point

• Go to Control Panel and select System
  • Select System
  • On the left select System Protection and accept the warning if you get one
  • Select System Protection Tab
  • Select Create at the bottom
  • Type in a name i.e. Clean
  • Select Create

Now we can purge the infected ones

• Go Start > All programs > Accessories > system tools
  • Right click Disc cleanup and select run as administrator
  • Select Your main drive and accept the warning if you get one
  • For a few moments the system will make some calculations
  • Select the More Options tab
  • In the System Restore and Shadow Backups select Clean up
  • Select Delete on the pop up
  • Select OK
  • Select Delete

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:
Posted Image
Malwarebytes. Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programs on your system need updating and give a download link

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated. To keep your operating system up to date visit

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?

Keep safe :wave: